New laws aim to thwart domain name speculators
- opinion. Engelman, Philip; Engelman, Mark // Lawyer;9/29/2003, Vol. 17 Issue 38, p18
Comments on the necessity of domain name ownership for commercial and non-commercial entities. Domain name registration; Judicial review of abusive domain name registration; Hiring of the services of internet-based companies through contract.
- Domain name database revamp due? Marsan, Carolyn Duffy // Network World;12/11/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 50, p1
Reports the possible revamp of WHOIS, an Internet domain name database in the United States. Competition among domain name providers; Factors contributing to the decline of WHOIS service; Impact of WHOIS standardization on companies; Topics to consider in a session sponsored by Internet...
- Who Owns Your-Name.Com? Elvin, John // Insight on the News;08/23/99, Vol. 15 Issue 31, p34
Looks at the legal complication of personal Web site address on the Internet in the United States. Court ruling that has bearing on the issue.
- Court ruling may curtail cybersquatters' domain. // Fairfield County Business Journal;03/13/2000, Vol. 39 Issue 11, p10
Reports on a landmark United States appellate court ruling on trademark rights. Confirmation of the reach of the Anticybersquatting Act; Domain names; Case `Sporty's Farm LLC v. Sportman's Market Inc.'.
- Gett ing In on the DOTCOM Act. WALDEN, GREG // Multichannel News;4/14/2014, Vol. 35 Issue 15, p31
A speech about the Domain Openness Through Continued Oversight Matters (DOTCOM) Act, given by House Communications Subcommittee chairman Representative Greg Walden on April 9, 2014 is presented.
- Battling 'Typosquatters' Butera, Celeste A. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);9/7/2001, Vol. 48 Issue 37, p47A
Comments on the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) in the U.S. Impact of ACPA on businesses; Amount of the statutory damages that successful parties can recover per domain name; Role of ACPA in the prevention of registering domain names that are intentional misspellings of...
- Domain Names in the Realm of Trademark Law. Vermette, Nathaly J. // FICC Quarterly;Fall2000, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p1
Examines the origin and evolution of trademarks in British, French, U.S. and Canadian Law in order to understand how Internet domain names can fit into the realm of trademarks. Origins and evolution of trademark law; Identification function of domain names and trademarks; Reasons for the...
- Congress Reconsiders Dot-Kids. Minkel, Walter // School Library Journal;Winter2002 Net Connect, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p6
Reports the plan of the U.S. Congress to pursue a legislative bill that relates to establishing a dot-kids domain name. Position of the Internet Commission for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) to dot-kids domain; Reaction of ICANN Chief Policy Officer Andrew McLaughlin; Comments of Jerry...
- DOMAIN-NAME DISPUTE-RESOLUTION AFTER SALLEN V. CORINTHIANS LICENCIAMENTOS & BARCELONA.COM, INC. V. EXCELENTISIMO AYUNTAMEIENTO DE BARCELONA. Owens, Ryan R. // Berkeley Technology Law Journal;Annual Review 2003, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p257
Examines the interaction between two dominant systems of Internet domain-name dispute resolution in the U.S. Uniform domain-name dispute resolution policy; Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act; Domain-name system abuses.