Preventing Legionnaires' Disease in Cooling Towers
- Improving Filtration Effectiveness. Burroughs, Barney H. E. // Heating/Piping/Air Conditioning Engineering;Dec2005, Vol. 77 Issue 12, p22
The article discusses the results of a study which investigated the role of various filter efficiencies in attaining and sustaining clean heating, ventilation and air conditioning components and distribution systems. This study evaluated the Sub-Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) 4 to...
- Filter System Eyed In Hotel Fatality. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;12/21/2009, Vol. 263 Issue 20, p12
The article reports on the move by public health officers of Miami-Dade County in Florida to investigate the possible involvement of an activated carbon filtration system in Miami in a Legionnaires' Disease outbreak.
- 'Another Edinburgh' waiting to happen? Brown, Colin // Plant & Works Engineering;Oct2012, Issue 367, p34
The article offers the author's perspective on safety aspects of cooling towers in Great Britain. He is critical on the changes to cooling towers design and the regulations governing them. He reflects on the Legionnaires disease outbreak in Edinburgh, Scotland where three people have died due to...
- Keeping Cool With Plastic. // Air Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration News;5/9/2011, Vol. 243 Issue 2, p16
The article offers information on the new replaced cooling tower at the LAX Airport Center office building in Los Angeles, California. It is mentioned that the tower works in conjunction with HVAC chillers and is redesigned by Centrifugal Technologies Inc. in association with L.A.T. Investment...
- Don't ignore the filter factor. Bamforth, Mark // Heating & Ventilating Review;Mar2012, Vol. 51 Issue 5, p39
The article presents tips for heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) contractors on factors to consider when considering air handling system filters, including searching for evidence of incorrect filtration, selecting the right filter size, and comparing various filter models.
- Get Out and Vote. Welsch, Butch // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;10/29/2012, Vol. 247 Issue 9, p22
The author reflects on the impact of the government's new regulations such as the R-22 and R-410a, which require the regionalization of efficiency requirements, on the heating and ventilation industry in the U.S.
- NAFA Honors Buildings. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;10/15/2012, Vol. 247 Issue 7, p5
The article reports on the announcement of the National Air Filtration Association (NAFA) of its 2012 Clean Air Award, which honors building owners and facility managers with increased level of indoor air cleanliness with filtration and improve system hygiene.
- Air-Filter Selection. Matella, David // Heating/Piping/Air Conditioning Engineering;Jun2008, Vol. 80 Issue 6, p6
The article discusses the importance of proper selection of filter technology on the operation of buildings in the U.S. According to the author, proper filter selection can help buildings guard against particulate pollutants, boost indoor-air quality, and reduce the risk of building fires. In...
- what's NEW. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;2/4/2002, Vol. 215 Issue 6, p8
Introduces several products from heating and ventilation industry. Capabilities of General Aire G-99 Air Filter Gage; Features of coil cleaner; Advantages of M-Series direct gas-fired makeup air heaters.