Letter to the Editor About "Life Insurance as a Hedge Against lax Uncertainty" in the May 2011 Journal
- Life Insurance Settlements. Segerstrom, John R. // Bank Accounting & Finance (08943958);Feb/Mar2010, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p49
The article describes the business life insurance or viatical settlements. Under this policy, a part of the cash paid in as premiums can be accessed by the insured and relief from future premium expense is offered. Similar to the mortgage market in the early 2000s, viatical settlements require...
- CFOs Support Principle-Based Reserving, But Have Concerns. Connolly, Jim // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;8/21/2006, Vol. 110 Issue 32, p10
The article reports on the results of the survey to chief financial officers regarding principle-based approach to reserving for life insurance products that offer second guarantees in the U.S. According to the survey, 80 percent of the respondents support principle-based reserving, however,...
- United States : COMMERCE INSURANCE diversifies due to greater rivalry. // TendersInfo News;8/23/2014, p1
The article reports that Commerce Insurance has diversified its business into life insurance due to rivalry from large national companies like Geico and Progressive Insurance and Mapfre USA, the holding company of Commerce Insurance, has started selling life insurance policies in Massachusetts.
- ARE CURRENCY FORWARDS EFFECTIVE IN VOLATILE MARKET CONDITIONS? AN EMERGING MARKET PERSPECTIVE. Bisen, Aditya; Rao, D. Tripati // Economics, Management & Financial Markets;Jun2012, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p118
Firms in emerging markets use forward contracts to hedge currency risk. Financial theory points to the usefulness of these contracts in 'locking in' the price payable/receivable in future, thus ensuring stable cash flows. The paper revisits these findings in the context of hedging long term...
- Global approach to inflation hedging. Buckley, Susan // inFinance;Oct2008, Vol. 122 Issue 4, p42
The article focuses on the advantages and disadvantages of using inflation-linked bonds to hedge inflation risk in Australia. It states on the issuance of inflation-linked securities by the sovereign government and corporations as a method to diversify their financing sources. On the other hand,...
- Does M&A Wave Loom For Smaller Hedgies? Colter, Allison Bisbey // Investment Dealers' Digest;8/20/2010, Vol. 76 Issue 31, p1
The article discusses the strategic importance of hedge funds for investors. It reveals that hedge funds are necessary to reach a certain size that will allow investors to support the management team and develop and maintain adequate operations in order to attract even more capital. It also...
- HEDGING SUPPLY RISKS: AN OPTIMAL WATER PORTFOLIO. LEROUX, ANKE D.; MARTIN, VANCE L. // American Journal of Agricultural Economics;Jan2016, Vol. 98 Issue 1, p276
Although water supply diversification has been proposed as a solution to dwindling water reserves, the optimal mix of natural and manufactured sources of water remains largely unexplored. We develop a dynamic portfolio model of water supply that hedges against the supply risks from all potential...
- How to Leave Your Family a Legacy. // Orange County Business Journal;9/20/2010, Vol. 33 Issue 38, pC.59
The article discusses the benefits of having a life insurance.
- STRENGTHEN YOUR SAFETY NET. // Money;Oct2012, Vol. 41 Issue 9, p72
The article advises readers to supplement life insurance coverage with an affordable basic term-life policy.