2010 - Daily emtricitabine plus tenofovir disoproxil fumarate reduced risk for HIV infection in men who have sex with men
- Combination emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate provided partial protection against HIV in MSM. DeNyse, Ashley // Infectious Disease News;Dec2010, Vol. 23 Issue 12, p26
The article reports on a study which found that treatment with oral emtricitabine plus tenofovir disoproxil fumarate provided partial protection against HIV in men who have sex with men.
- Check interim guidance for PrEP in men, women. // Contraceptive Technology Update;Oct2012, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p113
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued new interim guidance for use of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for in heterosexual men and women at high risk for HIV. â€¢ The daily drug regimen may be used by HIV-uninfected individuals to reduce their risk of HIV infection....
- Emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in HIV-1 pre-exposure prophylaxis: a guide to its once-daily use in the EU. Deeks, Emma; Lyseng-Williamson, Katherine; Plosker, Greg // Drugs & Therapy Perspectives;Jan2017, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p8
The fixed-dose combination of emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (tenofovir DF) [Truvada] is approved in the EU for pre-exposure prophylaxis, in conjunction with safer sex practices, to reduce the risk of sexually-acquired HIV-1 infection in adults at high risk. Once-daily...
- Daily PrEP prevents HIV in high risk gay men. // BMJ: British Medical Journal;9/19/2015, Vol. 351 Issue 8025, ph4860
The article discusses research published in the journal "Lancet" on the effectiveness of daily HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) with combined tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and emtricitabine in preventing HIV infections in high risk gay men.
- PrEP combo provided protection in MSM, transgender women. // Infectious Disease News;Sep2011, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p44
The article discusses a research study which found the safety and effectiveness of pre-exposure prophylaxis with daily oral emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in preventing human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) acquisition in men who have sex with men (MSM) and transgender women.
- Emtricitabine/Rilpivirine/Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate Single-Tablet Regimen: A Guide to Its Use in HIV-1 Infection. Lyseng-Williamson, Katherine A.; Scott, Lesley J. // Clinical Drug Investigation;2012, Vol. 32 Issue 10, p715
The once-daily, single-tablet regimen of emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (Evipleraâ„¢ [EU]; Compleraâ„¢ [US]) provides a convenient option for antiretroviral therapy in treatment-naive patients with HIV-1 infection. In well designed trials in this patient...
- Challenges for HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis among Men Who Have Sex with Men in the United States. Mansergh, Gordon; Koblin, Beryl A.; Sullivan, Patrick S. // PLoS Medicine;Aug2012, Vol. 9 Issue 8, p1
An essay is presented on challenges for HIV Pre-Exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) among men involved in same sex intercourse in the U.S. The authors mention that such prevention of viral infection with anti-retroviral (ARV) medication was discovered to be effective among men who have sex with men...
- Final data confirm PrEP reduced risk for HIV in heterosexual couples. Henry, Jennifer; Shafer, Emily // Infectious Disease News;Apr2012, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p17
The article reports on the findings by researchers from the University of Washington that once-daily tenofovir and combination emtricitabine/tenofovir reduced the risk for HIV infection in heterosexual men and women with a partner who is HIV-positive.
- Tenofovir diphosphate concentrations and prophylactic effect in a macaque model of rectal simian HIV transmission. Anderson, Peter L.; Glidden, David V.; Bushman, Lane R.; Heneine, Walid; García-Lerma, J. Gerardo // Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (JAC);Sep2014, Vol. 69 Issue 9, p2470
Objectives This study evaluated the relationship between intracellular tenofovir diphosphate concentrations in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and prophylactic efficacy in a macaque model for HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP). Methods Macaques were challenged with simian HIV (SHIV) via...