King of woods
- Twists and Spirals. HORNER, KEN // More Woodworkers' Essential Facts, Formulas & Short-Cuts;2006, p136
The article provides information on the concept of twists and spirals in woodworking. It discusses the major types of spiral twists which are single twist, double twist, triple twist, multi-start twist, rope twist and cable twist. When selecting wood for a spiral, one should prefer...
- TIMELESS TABLES. Prunkl, Pete // Antiques Roadshow Insider;Feb2014, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p8
The article discusses the evolution and design of 18th century tripod pedestal tables. According to appraiser Andrew Brunk, the finest examples of the tripod table combine eight essential features which include ball-and-claw feet, pie-crust top, carved knees, crusty black finish, mahogany, and...
- Treasured Chest. Barrett, Neal // Popular Mechanics;Nov2004, Vol. 181 Issue 11, p128
This article presents information on the design and construction of a mahogany storage. Mahogany chest of drawers is based on the type traditionally used by craftsmen to store precision tools. While the construction of the chest isn't difficult, its small size means extra care must be taken in...
- Designer's choice. Garet, Barbara // Wood & Wood Products;Mar94, Vol. 99 Issue 3, p34
Discusses furniture designers' personal favorites among the selection of designs they have created throughout their careers. Ray Sobota; Steve Hodges; Laurel Clark; Bill de Blaay; O.B. Solie.
- New designers. Waller, Richard // Cabinet Maker;07/16/99, Issue 5146, p2
Features the winners of the furniture section of the `New Designers,' an important show for young design talents in Great Britain. Themes; Presentation of the entries; Sponsors of the event; Schedule of events; Contact information.
- Furniture Fair reveals Spaniards prefer blond. Baylis, Sophie // Cabinet Maker;10/5/2001, Issue 5258, p5
Presents the Furniture Fair in Valencia. Features of the side tables; Focus on the trends in the living room design; Description of the leather upholstery and wooden dining chairs.
- Quintet vie for design prizes. // Cabinet Maker;05/12/2000, Issue 5187, p3
Reports that five furniture designers will compete for the 2000 Oxo/Peugeot Design Awards.
- Talent spotting. Waller, Richard // Cabinet Maker;07/23/99, Issue 5147, p14
Examines the product designs created by up-and-coming furniture designers who participated in the New Designers 99 show in Great Britain. Creative and lateral approach to designing furniture products; Range of materials and colors; Aesthetic and utilitarian value of the designs.
- Behind the designs. INGRAM, CINDE W. // Casual Living;Aug2010, Vol. 50 Issue 8, p39
The article features profiles of designers of casual furniture in the U.S.