The wasting disease of MPAs
- Movement to Close Loopholes in Shark Conservation. // Salt Water Sportsman;Sep99, Vol. 60 Issue 9, p64
Reports that the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) voted unanimously to begin developing complementary measures to conserve sharks in state waters. Significance of the plan; Comments from Sonja Fordham of the Center of Marine Conservation.
- Florida netters ordered to clean up campaign. // Salt Water Sportsman;Aug94, Vol. 55 Issue 8, Southern Edition pG
Reports on a cease and desist order issued to the Organized Fishermen of Florida (OFF) in response to their deceptive mailing sent out in the spring of 1994. Similarity of mailings to Save Our Sealife Committee's (SOS) mailings; Press condemnation of campaign.
- Parody or piracy? Cunningham, Rip // Salt Water Sportsman;Aug94, Vol. 55 Issue 8, p4
Editorial. Comments on the Organized Fishermen of Florida's (OFF) efforts to fight the ban on net fishing in Florida. Save Our Sealife Committee's petition to limit Florida net fishing; Formation of OFF fund-raising group Save Our Seafood; Controversy over Save Our Seafood solicitation letters.
- Pulling in the nets. Stearns, Bob // Field & Stream;Oct94, Vol. 99 Issue 6, p52
Discusses the efforts of Florida residents to provide adequate protection for marine fish stocks in their state waters by petitioning for a constitutional amendment to the state's commercial fishing policy. Statewide ballot on commercial netting; Depletion of mullet in Cape Sable area;...
- What is sustainable fishing? // Ausmarine;Feb2007, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p12
The article reports on the publication of draft intent statements by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) of Australia as part of its Quality and Consistency project. The draft intent statements are expected to clarify the criteria for the practice of sustainable fishing. The statements,...
- Good vibes. Reiger, George // Field & Stream;Apr95, Vol. 99 Issue 12, p16
Features various efforts of anglers to stop overexploitation of marine gamefish in Florida. Response of non-governmental organizations and government agencies; Result of overexploitation; Approval of net ban in Florida; States where citizen action groups are initiating petition drives to ban...
- GOOD NEWS FOR SHARKS. // Salt Water Sportsman;Sep2012, Vol. 73 Issue 9, p12
The article reports on the efforts taken by Venezuela towards shark conservation through the establishment of a commercial closure on critical nursery grounds and a nationwide ban on destructive commercial fishing practices.
- Marine Conservation and Accession: The Future for the Croatian Adriatic. Mackelworth, Peter; Holcer, Draško; Jovanović, Jelena; Fortuna, Caterina // Environmental Management;Apr2011, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p644
The European Union (EU) is the world's largest trading bloc and the most influential supra-national organisation in the region. The EU has been the goal for many eastern European States, for Croatia accession remains a priority and underpins many of its national policies. However, entry into the...
- Industry Proposes World's Biggest Marine Reserve Coverage. Madon, Trixi // Australian Maritime Digest;Dec2011, Issue 208, p9
The article offers information on the Commonwealth Fisheries Association's proposed marine reserve network designed to achieve marine conservation and protection in Australia.