The Impact of Teaching Critical Thinking Skills on Reading Comprehension of Iranian EFL Learners
- The Effect of Instructing Critical Thinking through Debate on Male and Female EFL Learners' Reading Comprehension. Tous, Maryam Danaye; Tahriri, Abdorreza; Haghighi, Sara // Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning;Aug2015, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p21
The purpose of the present study was to examine the effect of instruction through debate on male and female EFL learners' reading comprehension. Also, their perception of critical thinking (CT) instruction was investigated. A quantitative research method with experimental pre-and post-tests...
- A Critical Study of Comprehension Strategies and General Problems in Reading Skill Faced by Arab EFL Learners with Special Reference to Najran University in Saudi Arabia. Nezami, Syed Raihan Ahmed // International Journal of Social Sciences & Education;2012, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p306
There is a general assumption in regard of reading skill; it is supposed to be one of the easiest of the four skills i.e. listening, speaking, reading and writing for a beginner and the university students as well that is proved untrue by the researcher (Lebaure 1985). The reading skill of the...
- Web Based Application for Reading Comprehension Skills. Zidat, Samir; Djoudi, Mahieddine // International Journal of Computer Science Issues (IJCSI);May2011, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p80
The use of the web in languages learning has been developed at very high speed these last years. Thus, we are witnessing many research and development projects set in universities and distance learning programs. However, the interest in research related to writing competence remains relatively...
- Do something different with your coursebook. Roberts, Rachael // English Teaching Professional;Jan2014, Issue 90, p16
The article presents a lesson plan to teach students of English as a second language of various levels reading comprehension skills.
- The Effects of Electronic Dictionary Use on Reading Comprehension and Vocabulary Retention of EFL Students. Hamdi, Chaker // Arab World English Journal;Aug2015, p180
The dictionary is an essential learning tool for second and foreign language (L2) learners. Yet, the effects of dictionaries, either in printed or electronic form, have never been systematically investigated in the Algerian context. Consequently, this paper compared readers? L2 text...
- Promoting Oral Reading Fluency in Young EFL Learners Through Readers Theater. Kuan-Li Liu; Chieh-Fang Hu // English Teaching & Learning;Summer2015, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p1
Although there has been interest in incorporating readers theater into reading fluency instruction, relatively little is known about whether the benefits of the instruction are transferrable to unpracticed materials. This study assessed the transfer effects of readers-theater instruction on...
- Readings on L2 reading: Publications in other venues 2014-2015. Brantmeier, Cindy; Dolosic, Haley; Schultz, Lyndsie; Aquino-Sterling, Cristian; Van Bishop, Tracy // Reading in a Foreign Language;Oct2015, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p314
Several abstracts related to reading are presented including online reading habits of Malaysian students, development of English and French language skills in French English speakers (EL1) and English learners (EL), and English as a Foreign Language (EFL) reading comprehension.
- ELT Journal Debate 2012 at IATEFL. // ELT Journal: English Language Teachers Journal;Jan2012, Vol. 66 Issue 1, pNP
The article presents pre-conference details regarding the journal's "Debate 2012," to be hosted at the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language Conference in Glasgow, Scotland on March 19-23, 2012.
- The Effect of Applying Critical Thinking Techniques on Students' Attitudes towards Literature. Fahim, Mansoor; Khatib, Sarvenaz // International Journal of Applied Linguistics & English Literatur;Jan2013, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p80
This study investigated the effect of implicit teaching of critical thinking and its practice on the attitude the participants hold towards the subject matter being taught. For the observation of the practicality of critical thinking in altering students' attitudes, 25 Iranian EFL college...