The Impact of Teaching Critical Thinking Skills on Reading Comprehension of Iranian EFL Learners
- A Critical Study of Comprehension Strategies and General Problems in Reading Skill Faced by Arab EFL Learners with Special Reference to Najran University in Saudi Arabia. Nezami, Syed Raihan Ahmed // International Journal of Social Sciences & Education;
There is a general assumption in regard of reading skill; it is supposed to be one of the easiest of the four skills i.e. listening, speaking, reading and writing for a beginner and the university students as well that is proved untrue by the researcher (Lebaure 1985). The reading skill of the...
- Web Based Application for Reading Comprehension Skills. Zidat, Samir; Djoudi, Mahieddine // International Journal of Computer Science Issues (IJCSI);May2011, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p80
The use of the web in languages learning has been developed at very high speed these last years. Thus, we are witnessing many research and development projects set in universities and distance learning programs. However, the interest in research related to writing competence remains relatively...
- Do something different with your coursebook. Roberts, Rachael // English Teaching Professional;Jan2014, Issue 90, p16
The article presents a lesson plan to teach students of English as a second language of various levels reading comprehension skills.
- ELT Journal Debate 2012 at IATEFL. // ELT Journal: English Language Teachers Journal;Jan2012, Vol. 66 Issue 1, pNP
The article presents pre-conference details regarding the journal's "Debate 2012," to be hosted at the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language Conference in Glasgow, Scotland on March 19-23, 2012.
- The Effect of Applying Critical Thinking Techniques on Students' Attitudes towards Literature. Fahim, Mansoor; Khatib, Sarvenaz // International Journal of Applied Linguistics & English Literatur;Jan2013, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p80
This study investigated the effect of implicit teaching of critical thinking and its practice on the attitude the participants hold towards the subject matter being taught. For the observation of the practicality of critical thinking in altering students' attitudes, 25 Iranian EFL college...
- BUILDING WEB LITERACY SKILLS. Reinhardt, Jonathon; Isbell, Katharine // Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal;2002, Vol. 2 Issue 2, Special Section p1
This paper describes web literacy instruction we developed and implemented in response to our students' needs as part of an EFL academic skills preparation curriculum. The goals of the instruction are to introduce critical reading strategies and develop computer literacy skills. It is grounded...
- THE EFFECTS OF THINK-ALOUD IN A COLLABORATIVE ENVIRONMENT TO IMPROVE COMPREHENSION OF L2 TEXTS. Seng, Goh Hock // Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal;Aug2007, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p29
Numerous studies have shown that thinking aloud while reading can be an effective instructional technique in helping students improve their reading comprehension. However, most of the studies that examined the effects of think-aloud involve subjects reading individually and carried out in...
- Matching books and readers: Selecting literature for English learners. Vardell, Sylvia M.; Hadaway, Nancy L.; Young, Terrell A. // Reading Teacher;May2006, Vol. 59 Issue 8, p734
The article offers suggestions on how to choose books to aid English learners with language acquisition and reading comprehension. The term English learner is used here to represent individuals who are in the process of learning English after learning a first or other language. A few essential...
- Previewing challenging reading selections for ESL students. Chen, Hsiu-Chieh Sophia; Graves, Michael F. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Apr98, Vol. 41 Issue 7, p570
Studies the effects of reading previews on college students' comprehension. Positive attitude of students on previews; Improvement on the students' comprehension after the preview; Support for second-language students dealing with challenging selections.