Operational challenges in managing Isoniazid Preventive Therapy in child contacts: A highburden setting perspective
- Surveillance of Antituberculosis Drug Resistance Among Children From the Western Cape Province of South Africa--An Upward Trend. Schaaf, H. Simon; Marais, Ben J.; Hesseling, Anneke C.; Brittle, Wendy; Donald, Peter R. // American Journal of Public Health;Aug2009, Vol. 99 Issue 8, p1486
Objectives. We assessed the prevalence of antituberculosis drug resistance among children with tuberculosis (TB) in the Western Cape Province of South Africa. Methods. Drug susceptibility testing for isoniazid and rifampin was prospectively done on all children with culture-confirmed TB at...
- ISONIAZID TARGET FOUND. // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Jul98, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p513
Reports that the protein KasA was sited as the molecular target of the tuberculosis organism affected by isoniazid. Why the protein is needed.
- Isoniazid. // Reactions Weekly;11/27/2010, Issue 1329, p24
The article describes the case of a 10-year-old boy with tuberculosis who developed bilateral optic neuritis during treatment with isoniazid.
- A Country-Wide Study of Spoligotype and Drug Resistance Characteristics of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Isolates from Children in China. Jiao, Weiwei; Liu, Zhiguang; Han, Rui; Zhao, Xiuqin; Dong, Fang; Dong, Haiyan; Huang, Hairong; Tian, Jianling; Li, Qinjing; Lian, Lulu; Yin, Qingqin; Song, Wenqi; Wan, Kanglin; Shen, A-dong // PLoS ONE;Dec2013, Vol. 8 Issue 12, p1
Background: Tuberculosis (TB) is still a big threat to human health, especially in children. However, an isolation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis culture from pediatric cases remains a challenge. In order to provide some scientific basis for children TB control, we investigated the genotyping and...
- Isoniazid Levels in the Bronchoalveolar Lavage Fluid of Patients with Pulmonary Tuberculosis. O'Brien, J.K.; Doerfler, M.E.; Harkin, T.J.; Rom, W.N. // Lung;1998, Vol. 176 Issue 3, p205
Analyzes the isoniazid (INH) levels in the bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid specimens from patients with active pulmonary tuberculosis. Concentrations of INH in BAL fluid from lobes with and without infiltrates; Correlation between the concentration of INH in serum and BAL fluid; Use of high...
- Treating Tuberculosis: What Drugs, for How Long? Davidson, Paul T. // Annals of Internal Medicine;3/15/90, Vol. 112 Issue 6, p393
Editorial. Provides information on effective drugs for treating tuberculosis. Description of a treatment regimen for treating tuberculosis; Questions regarding possible isoniazid resistance; Treatment for tuberculosis patients with HIV infections.
- Fears Allayed. // Time;5/4/1953, Vol. 61 Issue 18, p74
The article discusses the concern of doctors on the efficacy of tuberculosis drug, isoniazid, and reveals the findings of laboratory testing which confirmed the drug's reliability in eliminating the virulence and reproduction of newly-formed bacilli in healthy tissue.
- Prevalence and interaction of hepatitis B and latent tuberculosis in Vietnamese immigrants to the United States. Patel, Pragnesh A.; Voigt, Michael D. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;May2002, Vol. 97 Issue 5, p1198
OBJECTIVES:Southeast Asian immigrants, with a high prevalence of both hepatitis B and latent tuberculosis, constitute a large proportion of immigrants to the United States. Isoniazid hepatotoxicity may be associated with hepatitis B. This study was conducted to document the prevalence and...
- Short course treatment for latent TB. Elliott, William T. // Travel Medicine Advisor;Feb2012 Supplement, p1
The article offers information on the daily isoniazid (INH) that helps in the treatment of latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI).