Assessing the association between all-cause mortality and multiple aspects of individual social capital among the older Japanese
- Effects of a 5-year exercise-centered health-promoting programme on mortality and ADL impairment in the elderly. Oida, Yukio; Kitabatake, Yoshinori; Nishijima, Yohko; Nagamatsu, Toshiya; Kohno, Hiroshi; Egawa, Kenichi; Arao, Takashi // Age & Ageing;Nov2003, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p585
Objective: the effects of regular exercise over 5 years on mortality and ADL impairment were evaluated in elderly people. Design: intervention study. Setting: Tsuru City, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan. Methods: the subjects of this study were 245 elderly people living at home. Of these...
- AEROBIC FITNESS LOWERS MORTALITY RISK, EVEN AMONG OLDER ADULTS. // Heart Advisor;Jul2013, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p2
The article reports on the reports on the results of a new study which found that aerobic exercise reduce mortality risk, even among older people.
- Factors Associated with Exercise Adherence Among Older Adults: An Individual Perspective. Rhodes, R.E.; Martin, A.D.; Taunton, J.E.; Rhodes, E.C.; Donnelly, M.; Elliot, J. // Sports Medicine;Dec1999, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p397
This paper reviews the literature concerning factors at the individual level associated with regular exercise among older adults. Twenty-seven cross-sectional and 14 prospective/longitudinal studies met the inclusion criteria of a mean participant age of 65 years or older. The findings are...
- get active. // Woman's Day (Australia Edition);1/13/2003, p38
Discusses the results of a study, which focuses on the benefits of weekly exercise for the aged. Information on sarcopenia; Psychological impact of exercise on older men.
- Using Leisure Services to Build Social Capital in Later Life: Classical Traditions, Contemporary Realities, and Emerging Possibilities. Maynard, Stephen S.; Kleiber, Douglas A. // Journal of Leisure Research;2005 4th Quarter, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p475
The purpose of this paper was to explore the social capitol generating potential of public leisure services for retirees as well as those approaching retirement age. The meanings of leisure, community, and friendship in the writings of Aristotle are explored as a philosophical base for...
- The Positives of Negatives: Clinical Implications of Eccentric Resistance Exercise in Old Adults. Hortobagyi, Tibor // Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences & Medical ;May2003, Vol. 58A Issue 5, p417
Editorial. Focuses on the suitability of eccentric exercise training for old adults. Reasons behind the use of bicycling as an adult exercise; Forms of eccentric exercise; Disadvantages of performing eccentric exercise.
- Effect of Tai Chi Exercise on DNA Damage, Antioxidant Enzymes, and Oxidative Stress in Middle-Age Adults. Goon, J.A.; Noor Aini, A.H.; Musalmah, M.; Anum, M.Y. Yasmin; Wan Nazaimoon, W.M.; Wan Ngah, W.Z. // Journal of Physical Activity & Health;Jan2009, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p43
Background: The biochemical mechanisms involving oxidative stress to explain the relationship between exercise and healthy aging are still unclear. Methods: Tai Chi participants and matched sedentary volunteers age 45 and above were enrolled. Glutathione peroxidase(GPx), superoxide dismutase...
- Exercise Training Beneficial for Older Women with CAD. Miller, Karl E. // American Family Physician;9/15/2005, Vol. 72 Issue 6, p1113
Discusses research being done on the benefits of exercise training to older women with coronary artery disease. Reference to a study by C. Hung and colleagues published in the October 2004 issue of "Chest" journal; Reduction in cardiac mortality; Improvement in the emotional and global quality...
- Standard indicators of deprivation: do they disadvantage older people? O'Reilly, Dermot // Age & Ageing;May2002, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p197
Presents a study that examined the association between mortality ratios, indicators of deprivation and an indicator of poverty which can be adapted to different age groups. Bias of indicators of deprivation against older people; Methodology; Results and discussion.