Alcohol and fatal life trajectories in Russia: understanding narrative accounts of premature male death in the family
- Jefferson traffic fatality death toll drops slightly but still too high. Lee, Harry // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);9/15/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 12, p37
Reports on the decline of traffic fatalities in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. Role of the use of alcohol in the death toll; Jefferson's role as the residential center and economic engine for South Louisiana; Responsibility of the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office.
- A Head Start on Drinking. // America;4/4/1981, Vol. 144 Issue 13, p269
The article gives opinion on excessive drinking of alcoholic beverages involving youth in the U.S. It suggests steps that could be taken to reduce the number of young emergency patients participating in celebrations that provide an excuse for overindulgence, including Saint Patrick's Day. It is...
- The Seven Deadly Sins. Duffy, Malachy // Town & Country;Aug99, Vol. 153 Issue 5231, p108
Deals with the common health practices of men that are not socially acceptable. Eating red meat; Drinking alcoholic beverages; Smoking.
- THE TICKER. Good, Brain // Men's Health;Apr2003, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p36
Presents various facts about men's health. Quality of men's sperm after the age of 35; Physiological effect of occasional alcohol drinking; Chances of men to experience the complications of gastric-bypass surgery.
- ASK MEN'S HEALTH. Taber, Andrew // Men's Health;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p12
Answers several questions on men's health. How to keep a friend from doing unpleasant things because of overdrinking alcoholic beverages; Effects of cigarette and cigar smoking on health; Information on the ways by which muscles can be built. INSET: Flat Tired.
- Alcohol tied to critical number of deaths; studies call for solutions. Currie, Donya // Nation's Health;Sep2009, Vol. 39 Issue 7, p11
The article discusses a study published in the June 27, 2009 issue of "Lancet," which linked alcohol to a number of deaths. The study found the global disease burden is related to alcohol consumption and is strongest in poor people and those people who are marginalized from society. Another...
- Alcohol and premature death in Estonian men: a study of forensic autopsies using novel biomarkers and proxy informants. // BMC Public Health;2012, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p146
The article presents a study investigating the association of alcohol with mortality in a large series of forensic autopsies of working-age men in Estonia. As mentioned, high blood alcohol concentrations (BAC) were found for 55 percent of deaths. It is also mentioned that, several biomarkers of...
- Geospatial Analysis on the Distributions of Tobacco Smoking and Alcohol Drinking in India. Fu, Sze Hang; Jha, Prabhat; Gupta, Prakash C.; Kumar, Rajesh; Dikshit, Rajesh; Sinha, Dhirendra // PLoS ONE;Jul2014, Vol. 9 Issue 7, p1
Background: Tobacco smoking and binge alcohol drinking are two of the leading risk factors for premature mortality worldwide. In India, studies have examined the geographic distributions of tobacco smoking and alcohol drinking only at the state-level; sub-state variations and the spatial...
- Motor Vehicle Fuel Efficiency and Traffic Fatalities. Noland, Robert B. // Energy Journal;2004, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p1
This paper analyzes the impact of changes in average fuel efficiency on traffic-related fatalities while controlling for other confounding effects. These other effects include population, per capita income, per capita alcohol consumption, existence of safety-belt laws (and safety-belt usage),...