- Indonesia poised for massive expansion. Sharma, Dinesh C. // Global Wireless;Jan/Feb2001, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p5
Reports on the expansion of the Indonesian global system for mobile communications (GSM) market in 2001. List of the country's cellular operators; Increase in the country's total subscriber base; Intensification of competition with the entry of several communication companies; Possibility of...
- GSM group patient, determined in 3G waiting game. Wendelken, Sandra // RCR Wireless News;2/24/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 8, p8
Reports on the patience of global system for mobile communication (GSM) operators and vendors in waiting for the third-generation wireless technology. Reorganization of the GSM Association; Issues tackled during the 2003 3GSM World Congress; Outlook of vendors on the market.
- Nokia breaches GSM cost barrier to wage rural battle. Tanner, John C. // Wireless Asia;9/15/2003, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p10
Highlights the efforts of global system for mobile infrastructure suppliers to develop low-cost wireless local loop (WLL) equipment for cellular telephone services companies. Efforts of cellular phone operators to expand their operations to rural areas; Reduction of operating expenses by...
- Migration Through EDGE. Lappalainen, Ukko // Telecommunications - International Edition;Sep99, Vol. 33 Issue 9, pS100
Discusses plans to migrate current global system for mobile communication (GSM) operations to Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) technologies. Use of enhanced GSM technologies such as EDGE technologies to facilitate the migration towards UMTS; Expectations of market growth in the...
- EU cranks up pressure on roaming. Wieland, Ken // Telecommunications - International Edition;Jul2006, Vol. 40 Issue 7, p8
The article reports on a European Union initiative proposing a standard retail price cap for mobile communications to be implemented in member states. The GSM Association, a lobby group for GSM operators, claimed that the proposal would reduce competition and innovation ignoring the varying cost...
- EDGE vs. EV-DO: Technology battle will come down to handsets, capacity. Omatseye, Sam // RCR Wireless News;7/8/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 27, p15
Focuses on the battle between supporters of GSM-based and CDMA-based technologies. Wireless carriers in the U.S. that support GSM-based technology; Wireless carries that support CDMA-based technology; Information on the two technologies.
- why mobile apps don't stack up. Clark, Robert // Wireless Asia;9/15/2003, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p16
Focuses on the difficulty faced by mobile telecommunications providers to expand their data services operations. Problems with interoperability between different standards and vendors; Increase in popularity of global system for mobile-based text message services; Failure of multimedia...
- India's growth pains. // Wireless Asia;Jun2004, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p27
Presents an interview with T.V. Ramachandran, director-general of the Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI). Background of COAI; Growth of cellular in India in the last two years; Dispute with their CDMA-based WLL rivals; Legal action against the CDMA operators over their encroachment...
- Sony Pictures Digital and Sprint release full-color entertainment via PCS Vision. // Caribbean Business;1/16/2003, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p34
Reports on the addition of mobile Java games by Sony Pictures Digital.