Ask the Experts. Eating While Receiving Mechanical Ventilation
- metachromophil. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1453
A definition of term "metachromophil," which refers to failure to react normally to staining, is presented.
- neutrophilic, neutrophilous. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1582
A definition of the terms "neutrophilic" and "neutrophilous," which refer to staining with neutral dyes, is presented.
- No need for special tools for macroscopical staining. Kosemehmetoglu, Kemal // Journal of Clinical Pathology;Aug2013, Vol. 66 Issue 8, p731
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Inkpots for Histopathology" by J. D. Oxley in a 2012 issue, which describes a novel method for applying stain on a specimen.
- Dry stained slides without an open flame. Tremble, Rebecca L. // Veterinary Medicine;Jun2008, Vol. 103 Issue 6, p306
The author offers tips on how to dye stained microscopic slides without using an open flame. She shares the dye staining method practiced in her veterinary clinic. To dye stained and fix slides without using an open flame or lighters, the author and her colleagues uses candle warmers because...
- Identification Of A Unique Mechanism Of Tolerance Against Nickel In Bacillus Cereus Isolated From Heavy Metal Contaminated Sites. Shoeb, Erum; Ahmed, Nuzhat; Warner, Philip J.; Morgan, Sarah; Azim, M. Kamran // Internet Journal of Microbiology;Jan2011, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p3
Bacillus cereus is rod-shaped, Gram-positive, sporulating, aerobe or facultative anaerobe. A Bacillus cereus strain, CMG2K4 was isolated from metal contaminated soil sample. CMG2K4 showed tolerance against nickel chloride up to the concentration of 10 mM. Growth curve pattern has indicated...
- Automation of May GrÃ¼nwald -- Giemsa staining. Gabriè, S.; Kaštelan, D.; Kern, I. // HealthMed;Jun2007, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p40
May GrÃ¼nwald -- Giemsa (MGG) staining is one of the basic staining techniques in cytology. This procedure was performed in our laboratory manually for many years and we tried to standardise it. The aim was to put the automated MGG staining in routine work and to get the same microscopic...
- Improved staining, dyes assist ILM peeling. Correa, Mark; Hasson, Matt; Nale, Patricia // Ocular Surgery News;11/25/2011, Vol. 29 Issue 22, p17
The article reports that it may be safer to peel a small zone of internal limiting membrane (ILM) around the hole than peel extensively for macular holes, according to eye expert Stanley Chang at the American Academy of Ophthalmology meeting in Florida in October 2011.
- Narrow-Spectrum Histochemical Staining of Fungi. Youngberg, George A.; Wallen, Ellen D. B.; Giorgadze, Tamar A. // Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine;Nov2003, Vol. 127 Issue 11, p1529
Focuses on narrow-spectrum histochemical fungal staining. Advantages of histologic methods in fungal pathogen identification; Use of narrow-spectrum fungal histochemical staining for Cryptococcus; Information on the periodic acid-Schiff stain.
- Prognostic Implications Of Calbindin-D28k Expression in Lung Cancer: Analysis of 452 Cases. Castro, Claudia Y.; Stephenson, Mark; Gondo, Margaret M.; Medeiros, L. Jeffrey; Cagle, Philip T. // Modern Pathology;Jul2000, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p808
Calbindin D28k (Ca-D28k) acts as a buffering system to maintain cellular calcium homeostasis and is thought to play a role in inhibiting apoptosis. The goals of this study were to assess CA-D28k expression in lung carcinomas and to correlate these results with patient survival.A total of 452...