Addressing challenges in bar-code scanning of large-volume infusion bags
- Nurse's misdemeanor incident reveals potential dangers of modern technology. // Same-Day Surgery;Feb2011, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p13
ECRI Institute has identified the top 10 technology hazards from 2011. (See list, p. 15.) To avoid Luer misconnections, trace the line to its source. Also, use labeling or color- coding to identify lines. ' , To avoid oversedation during use of patient-controlled analgesic (PCA) infusion...
- A step forward in bar coding? Tribble, Dennis A. // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;8/1/2011, Vol. 68 Issue 15, p1406
The author focuses on the article by K. Raman and colleagues on the improvement of bedside bar coding. It mentions that capturing the National Drug Code (NDC), lot number, and expiration date in a single scan would be useful only if the bar-code-assisted medication administration (BCMA), use it...
- Needs and opportunities for achieving optimal outcomes from the use of medicines in hospitals and health systems. Brennan, Cynthia; Donnelly, Kim; Somani, Shabir // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;6/15/2011, Vol. 68 Issue 12, p1086
The article discusses the need to achieve optimal medication-use outcomes, and refers to the Institute of Medicine (IOM) report, "To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System". It highlights that transition of care is a source of adverse drug events (ADEs), and mentions the Joint Commission...
- Protecting patients from IV medication errors. Mendes, Aysha // British Journal of Healthcare Management;Jul2015 Supplement, p8
No abstract available.
- Health Care IT: Staying on Top of the Game. PUTRE, LAURA // H&HN: Hospitals & Health Networks;Jan2012, Vol. 86 Issue 1, p47
The article reports on topics which were discussed at a panel discussion which was held on October 26, 2011 in San Antonio, Texas. Topics included the meaningful use of electronic health records, accountable care organizations and information technology services. The event was attended by...
- Cutting-edge practice model: Experience in a small community hospital. Berry, Richard // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;6/15/2011, Vol. 68 Issue 12, p1113
The article offers a summary of a speech delivered by Richard Berry at the Pharmacy Practice Model Summit held November 2010 in Dallas, Texas. He described a collaborative care model implemented in 2007 at the ThedaCare hospital network, to provide clinical pharmacy services at the point of...
- Implementation of the systems approach to improve a pharmacist-managed vancomycin dosing service. GAGNON, DAVID J.; ROBERTS, RUSSEL; SYLVIA, LYNNE // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;12/1/2014, Vol. 71 Issue 23, p2080
Purpose. Quality improvements achieved by applying the systems approach to assess the clinical effectiveness, operational efficiency, and financial feasibility of a pharmacist-managed vancomycin dosing service are described. Summary. Faced with increased patient volumes and resource demands, the...
- SESSION 21: PATIENT SAFETY: Intensive care and multidisciplinary crisis resource management training. // CONNECT: The World of Critical Care Nursing;2011, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p58
An abstract of the article "Intensive care and multidisciplinary crisis resource managemant training," by Id Maatman is presented.
- Nurses' Perceptions about Causes of Medication Errors: a Qualitative Study. Heydari, Heshmatollah; Kamran, Aziz; Novinmehr, Naser // HAYAT;2014, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p19
No abstract available.