Vitamin Supplements: Hope vs. Hype
- better health. beat the wheat. Murray, Michael T. // Better Nutrition;Oct2013, Vol. 75 Issue 10, p22
The article reports on the relationship between gluten sensitivity and celiac disease and presents an overview of celiac disease, a medical condition with several digestive symptoms which is thought to impact one percent of Americans. A discussion of supplements, including B complex supplements...
- Review Recommends Bone-Building Nutrients Before Drugs. Dye, D. // Life Extension;Aug2011, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p5
The article reports on research which was published in the journal "Nutrients" and suggested that calcium and vitamin D supplements should be tried by patients with bone density disorders before prescription drugs which are used to achieve normal bone density.
- Long-term daily supplementation may reduce risk of AMD. Groves, Nancy // Ophthalmology Times;8/1/2007, Vol. 32 Issue 15, p1
The article focuses on a study by researcher William G. Christen and colleagues which showed that daily supplement of folic acid and vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 for seven years in women with cardiovascular disease or high risk of it reduced the risk of confirmed age related macular degeneration...
- A Supplemental Program. // Better Nutrition;Feb2002, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p7
Focuses on the use of dietary supplements in the protection against heart disease in the United States. Kinds of heart-related enzymes in animal products; Importance of the supplements for persons at high risk for heart diseases; Types of high-risk persons.
- SUNSHINE IN A BOTTLE. // Natural Solutions;Feb2012, Issue 141, p50
The article discusses how vitamin D supplementation is the easiest and best solution to chasing away the winter blues as well as seasonal effective disorder. A deficiency of vitamin D leads to several health problems including complaints about lethargy and mild depression. Sunlight is the best...
- Pump it up! // Alive;Feb2014, Issue 376, p176
No abstract available.
- Ingredientes para la salud cognitiva. Canto, Stuart // Industria Alimenticia;may2014, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p24
No abstract available.
- Current Controversies in Nutrition: Do Supplements Enhance the Effects of Chemotherapy? Challem, Jack // Alternative & Complementary Therapies;Aug2011, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p206
The article offers information on various studies, which support the benefits of incorporating supplements in the treatment of cancer. It says that case histories of patients treated surgically for breast cancer and subsequently given Q10 (CoQ10) supplements were described by Lockwood and...
- Celiac Disease: An Integrative Approach: A Natural Standard Monograph. Ulbricht, Catherine // Alternative & Complementary Therapies;Oct2013, Vol. 19 Issue 5, p276
The article discusses conflicting scientific evidences regarding therapeutic uses of Buckwheat plant, Cassava vegetable, and Carob germ flour in patients suffering from celiac disease. It mentions that celiac disease patients should avoid the use of buckwheat whereas toxic levels of cyanic...