Vitamin Supplements: Hope vs. Hype
- Calcium and Vitamin D Supplementation: Facts and Myths. Barice, E. Joan; Hennekens, Charles H. // Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology & Therapeutics;Jan2015, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p9
The article presents evidence-based data on the efficacy of the combined calcium and vitamin D in the prevention of osteoporosis. Topics discussed include an overview of guidelines relating to calcium and vitamin D supplements, problems with overreliance on subgroups and overinterpretation of...
- better health. beat the wheat. Murray, Michael T. // Better Nutrition;Oct2013, Vol. 75 Issue 10, p22
The article reports on the relationship between gluten sensitivity and celiac disease and presents an overview of celiac disease, a medical condition with several digestive symptoms which is thought to impact one percent of Americans. A discussion of supplements, including B complex supplements...
- Review Recommends Bone-Building Nutrients Before Drugs. Dye, D. // Life Extension;Aug2011, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p5
The article reports on research which was published in the journal "Nutrients" and suggested that calcium and vitamin D supplements should be tried by patients with bone density disorders before prescription drugs which are used to achieve normal bone density.
- Long-term daily supplementation may reduce risk of AMD. Groves, Nancy // Ophthalmology Times;8/1/2007, Vol. 32 Issue 15, p1
The article focuses on a study by researcher William G. Christen and colleagues which showed that daily supplement of folic acid and vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 for seven years in women with cardiovascular disease or high risk of it reduced the risk of confirmed age related macular degeneration...
- A Supplemental Program. // Better Nutrition;Feb2002, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p7
Focuses on the use of dietary supplements in the protection against heart disease in the United States. Kinds of heart-related enzymes in animal products; Importance of the supplements for persons at high risk for heart diseases; Types of high-risk persons.
- Some nutritional supplements may have modest beneficial effects on lipid levels, but the effects of most are negligible. // Drugs & Therapy Perspectives;Apr2015, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p133
Nutritional supplements have differing effects on plasma levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and its main protein apolipoprotein A-I. Some supplements, including soy protein, phytosterols and black seed extracts, have been shown to increase HDL-C levels. Fish oil/omega-3 fatty...
- SUNSHINE IN A BOTTLE. // Natural Solutions;Feb2012, Issue 141, p50
The article discusses how vitamin D supplementation is the easiest and best solution to chasing away the winter blues as well as seasonal effective disorder. A deficiency of vitamin D leads to several health problems including complaints about lethargy and mild depression. Sunlight is the best...
- Pump it up! // Alive;Feb2014, Issue 376, p176
No abstract available.
- Ingredientes para la salud cognitiva. Canto, Stuart // Industria Alimenticia;may2014, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p24
No abstract available.