Fire regulation failures
- FIRA adds services to Hong Kong base. // Cabinet Maker;7/23/2010, Issue 5697, p8
The article reports that Hong Kong, China-based testing centre of Furniture Industry Research Association (FIRA) has started its operation and offers comprehensive flammability testing services to clients from the whole of Asia.
- Difference is flaming obvious. // Cabinet Maker;7/18/2008, Issue 5597, p5
The article reports on the high standards of flammability in furniture industry in Great Britain. As evidence, a Dutch-made sofa and a British-made sofa were both tested in a demonstration organized by the Alliance for Consumer Fire Safety in Europe. Results showed that British sofa resisted all...
- New rules offer opportunity to sell safety. Perry, David // Furniture/Today;9/8/2003, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p34
Reports on the reluctance of the bedding industry to adopt improved mattress flammability protection in Durham, North Carolina. Response of the industry to legislative change; Improvement of fire safety as a marketing opportunity; Increase of operating expenses.
- Fabric admission. // Cabinet Maker;8/4/2006, Issue 5499, p3
The article reports that testing houses in Great Britain have been using the wrong fabric for fire safety testing for at least six years. The admission came from Woodrow Universal which has been the sole supplier of the fabric used by the testing houses. The Department of Trade and Industry...
- BFC to target fire hazard imports. Kidd, Andrew // Cabinet Maker;6/23/2006, Issue 5493, p5
The article reports that the first objective of the newly formed All Party Parliamentary Furniture Group of the British Furniture Confederation (BFC) will be on regulating the imported products which fail the flammability regulations and ending the medical use exemption for mattresses in Great...
- Speak up now on FR. Combs, Heath E. // Furniture/Today;2/25/2013, Vol. 37 Issue 26, p1
The article offers information regarding a new upholstered flammability rule in California. It presents views of Tonya Blood, chief of the California Bureau of Home Furnishings and Thermal Insulation regarding safety of upholstery fabrics. It discusses the importance of a flammability standard...
- Testing issue highlighted. Kidd, Andrew // Cabinet Maker;09/29/2000, Issue 5207, p2
Reports that the issue of reliability of flammability certificates has been highlighted after British furniture manufacturer Jay-Be was fined 2,500 British pounds for breaching the regulations.
- What's in a label? // Cabinet Maker;11/6/2009, Issue 5662, p26
The article discusses the importance of labelling and record keeping in the furniture industry in Great Britain. John Shipman, head of furniture testing at SATRA outlines the fire and safety regulations for furniture and furnishings along with the technical requirements for covers and fillings....
- Polish sofas to be UK compliant. // Cabinet Maker;8/13/2004, Issue 5401, p7
Reports on the need for upholstery companies exporting to the Great Britain to comply with the flammability regulations. Interests of furniture manufacturers in the region; Causes of the problems of non-compliant products; Increase in the level of non-compliant upholstery entering the country.