FOR VARIETY AND NUTRITION: KEEN ON BEANS
- Garden fresh cooking. Cardillo, Rob // Organic Gardening (08973792);Jul/Aug97, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p24
Discusses information about snap beans. Tips on how to freeze snap beans; Ways of preparing snap beans; Recipe of Athenian Plaka Salad.
- String beans for angels. Prommersberger, Lynne B. // Yankee;Nov98, Vol. 62 Issue 11, p100
Presents the recipe for cooking Grandma's String Beans. Ingredients; Cooking procedure.
- Indian-Spiced String Beans. // Food & Wine;Dec2006, Vol. 29 Issue 12, p218
A recipe for Indian-Spiced String Beans is presented.
- Red Kidney Beans. // Good Housekeeping;Mar2013, Vol. 256 Issue 3, p177
The article discusses the benefits of using canned red kidney beans compared to soaking and cooking dried red kidney beans, examining which is more convenient compared to which is more healthy and presenting recommendations on how to use the beans in recipes.
- Healthy living. // Eastern Eye;2/7/2014, Issue 1237, p32
A recipe for pot o' chilli is presented.
- The Ultimate Reuben. // Men's Health;Mar2008, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p74
This section presents recipes for reuben and kidney bean salad.
- Effect of Cooking Procedures and Storage on Starch Bioavailability in Common Beans ( Phaseolus vulgaris L.). LANDA-HABANA, LORENA; PI�A-HERN�NDEZ, ARIANA; AGAMA-ACEVEDO, EDITH; TOVER, JUSCELINO; BELLO-P�REZ, LUIS // Plant Foods for Human Nutrition;Dec2004, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p133
Common commercial beans were cooked using two procedures: under pressure (autoclaving) and traditional cooking. Total starch extraction was higher in beans cooked with the traditional procedure (41.69-42.81%) than in the autoclaved samples (37.04-38.16%) and did not change during storage at 4...
- 10 simple lunches. // BBC Australian Good Food;Sep2010, p50
The article presents several recipes including Chicken Soba Noodles, Chilli Kidney Bean Wraps, and Avocado & Orange Salad.
- Taking the right pulse. Clee, Nicholas // New Statesman;8/13/2007, Vol. 136 Issue 4857, p44
This article presents tips and suggestions for preparing beans. Soaking the beans, sometimes overnight, is necessary for most beans. However, it is possible to either boil and then simmer the beans or slowly cook them over the course of several hours. He offers a simple bean casserole recipe...