Association Between Proton Pump Inhibitor Use and Anemia: A Retrospective Cohort Study
- Pantoprazole Therapy in the Long-Term Management of Severe Acid Peptic Disease. Bardhan, Karna Dev; Cherian, Pradip; Bishop, Anne E.; Polak, Julia M.; Perry, Michael J.; Rowland, Anne; Thompson, Mary; Morris, Pamela; Schneider, Andreas; Fischer, Renata; Ng, W.; Lühmann, R.; McCaldin, Brian // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jun2001, Vol. 96 Issue 6, p1767
OBJECTIVE: Pantoprazole is the third proton pump inhibitor to become available. When this study was started, there were few data on its long-term use. Our aim was to investigate this aspect and, because powerful inhibitors of acid secretion can cause hypergastrinemia and, in experimental...
- Iron-deficiency anaemia, gastric hyperplasia, and elevated gastrin levels due to potassium channel dysfunction in the Jervell and Lange-Nielsen Syndrome. Winbo, Annika; Sandström, Olof; Palmqvist, Richard; Rydberg, Annika // Cardiology in the Young;Jun2013, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p325
AimWe investigated extra-cardiac clinical symptoms and signs in the rare Jervell and Lange-Nielsen Syndrome, characterised by impaired KCNQ1 function, a gene essential for gastric acid secretion.MethodsAll Swedish Jervell and Lange-Nielsen cases with double KCNQ1 mutations (14 cases) were...
- EvoluciÃ³n epidemiolÃ³gica de la enfermedad Ã¡cido pÃ©ptica en un Centro de endoscopia diagnÃ³stica de BogotÃ¡ entre 1993 y 2007. Arango, Luis Alberto Ángel; Boada, Diego Gómez; Díaz, María Paula Villalba // Revista Colombiana de GastroenterologÃa;Jun2010, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p139
Objective: To describe epidemiological characteristics of individuals suffering from acid peptic disease found by a first level endoscopic diagnostic center from 1993 and 2007. Methods: A retrospective, descriptive and analytical study of series of patients. Results: 12,638 registers were...
- Rabeprazole: quest for the best PPI. Sugano, Kentaro // Journal of Gastroenterology;2002, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p233
Editorial. Comments on an article dealing with the effects of proton pump inhibitors (PPI) rabeprazole and omeprazole on parietal cells and other acid regulatory cells in the rat stomach. Details on the study; Background on PPI; Recommendations.
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia in Young Males: Do Gastrointestinal Symptoms and Haemoglobin Level Affect Diagnostic Yield? Kalla, Rahul; Kwak, Kun; Campbell, Simon; Willert, Robert // Digestive Diseases & Sciences;Oct2013, Vol. 58 Issue 10, p3059
No abstract available.
- GI Cancer Associated with Iron Deficiency Anemia. Shaughnessy, Allen // American Family Physician;3/15/2003, Vol. 67 Issue 6, p1339
Discusses the study 'Iron Deficiency and Gastrointestinal Malignancy: A Population-based Cohort Study,' by G. Ioannou et al., from the September 2002 issue of the 'American Journal of Medicine.'
- Gastric acid suppressantsâ€”too much of a good thing? Logan, Ian C.; Sumukadas, Deepa; Witham, Miles D. // Age & Ageing;Jul2010, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p410
The author reflects on the adverse effects of the use of gastric acid suppressants, in the form of histamine-2 receptor antagonists (H2RAs) and subsequently proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), particularly to older people. The author emphasizes the adverse effects caused by the use of PPI, including...
- A review of proton-pump inhibitors. Smith, Haley // South African Pharmaceutical Journal;2014, Vol. 81 Issue 5, p13
The introduction of proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) in the late 1980s optimised the medical treatment of acid-related disorders. PPIs have superseded the use of histamine-2-receptor antagonists in patients with moderate to severe gastric acid-related diseases, as well as for the prophylaxis of...
- Inhibidores de la bomba de protones y riesgo de infecciÃ³n. Palencia-Herrejón, Eduardo; Artola, Beatriz Sánchez; Rodríguez, Ismael Escobar; Gómez-Lus Centelles, María Luisa // Revista EspaÃ±ola de Quimioterapia;Mar2011, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p4
Gastric antisecretory drugs, especially proton pump inhibitors, are among the most used drugs both in ambulatory and hospital settings, and prescription does not always follows approved indications. Experimental data suggest that gastric acid inhibition and the effects of proton pump inhibitors...