Five things to know about ... Child automobile restraints
- Belt-Positioning Booster Seats and Reduction in Risk of Injury Among Children in Vehicle Crashes. Durbin, Dennis R.; Elliott, Michael R.; Winston, Flaura K. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;6/4/2003, Vol. 289 Issue 21, p2835
Context: Although more than a dozen states have ratified laws that require booster seats for children older than 4 years, most states continue to have child restraint laws that only cover children through age 4 years. Lack of booster seat effectiveness data may be a barrier to passage of...
- Car-seat safety alert. Fahey, Valerie // Parenting;Feb97, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p41
Presents tips on how to properly install car seats for children. Incorrect methods of installing car seats; Toddler booster seat; Travelint beds; Convertible seat with T-shield; Infant seat; Convertible seat with five-point harness; Car seat-stroller; Convertible seat with adjust-a-shield. ...
- Proper Use of Child Safety Seats. Biagioli, Frances // American Family Physician;5/15/2002, Vol. 65 Issue 10, p2085
Motor vehicle crashes continue to be the leading cause of death in children one to 14 years of age. Used correctly, child safety seats significantly reduce child morbidity and mortality. Although many parents know child safety seats are important, more than 80 percent of seats are misused....
- Estimating the Implicit Value of a Young Child's Life. Carlin, Paul S.; Sandy, Robert // Southern Economic Journal;Jul91, Vol. 58 Issue 1, p186
We present our $526,827 estimate, simply as a best initial estimate, based on available data. There are difficulties with both the data and the methodology that must be acknowledged. Nevertheless, our process represents a solid beginning in establishing the appropriate value to use for safety...
- Retrofit kits for child car seats. // Consumer Reports;Jun2002, Vol. 67 Issue 6, p8
Presents an overview of retrofit kits for child car seats. How the kit will enable consumers to use their current car seats with the car anchors installed in new automobiles; Testing of the Century EZ Latch, the Cosco LATCH Retro-Fit Kit, and the Evenflo Secure-Right LATCH Kit; Price for the kits.
- Big fall in child injuries following change in car seat laws. // RoSPA Occupational Safety & Health Journal;Nov2008, Vol. 38 Issue 11, p16
The article looks at the effects of a car seat law passed in Great Britain. The author notes that the number of children under the age of 12 who are injured in car accidents has been reduced by over 1,000 within the law's first year. Statistics regarding the number of children injured in car...
- Too Many Are Too Small For A Seatbelt. // Child Health Alert;May2003, Vol. 21, p4
Comments on a study which investigated the use of child safety seatbelts in the U.S. Importance of using booster seats for children; Responsibility of parents.
- Untitled. // Machine Design;7/9/93, Vol. 65 Issue 14, p19
Introduces a child comfort guide developed for children who have outgrown child seats and do not fit comfortably into standard seat belts. Design of the comfort guide to let children use the rear seat shoulder belt without hitting their face or neck.
- Think It's New? Think Again! Seelhorst, Mary // Popular Mechanics;Jul99, Vol. 176 Issue 7, p142
Provides information on the history of child safety seat in automobiles. Invention of safety seat in 1921; Types of modern child restrain system.