Antioxidant and antiatherogenic effects of pomegranate
- Comparative Antioxidant Activity and Total Flavonoid Content of Persian Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) Cultivars. Shams Ardekani, Mohammad Reza; Hajimahmoodi, Mannan; Oveisi, Mohammad Reza; Sadeghi, Naficeh; Jannat, Behrooz; Ranjbar, Ali Mohammad; Gholam, Narges; Moridi, Tahereh // Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research;Sep2011, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p519
Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.), Lythraceae, is mainly grown in Mediterranean region. It is one of the major cultivated productions of Iran, which have been used in folk medicine for many centuries. It has been proved that pomegranate has a high antioxidant activity and is effective in the...
- Powerful POMEGRANATES. // Yoga Journal;Mar2006, Issue 194, PROMOTION p51
The article looks into the nutritional contents of pomegranates. It is noted that pomegranates are rich in antioxidants, which may prevent unstable molecules called free radicals from causing damage to arteries.
- HOW TO BOOST YOUR PON-1 LEVELS. Hathaway, Richard // Life Extension;Mar2010, Vol. 16 Issue 3, Special section p4
The article discusses ways to increase the levels of the enzyme paraoxonase-1 (PON-1) as a means of reversing and preventing atherosclerosis. Research has indicated that pomegranate extract can elevate levels of PON-1 as a result of its antioxidant properties, thus increasing its...
- Oxidized LDL, atherogenesis and antioxidants. Waickus, Cynthia M. // American Family Physician;10/1/1993, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p718
Editorial. Discusses the use of micronutrient supplements as chemoprevention agents for coronary atherosclerosis. Accumulation of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL) and cholesterol esters within a layer of cells beneath the transparent endothelium; Modified LDL in the development of...
- Remember your pomegranate. // Men's Fitness;Sep2015, Vol. 31 Issue 7, p34
This article talks about the benefits of pomegranate juice right from the amazing antioxidants such as polyphenols that help the body against radicals, unstable molecules that cause damage to our bodies. Topics also include about how memorable this fruit is starting from the crossword puzzles...
- Affairs of the heart. Gormley, James // Better Nutrition;Feb2000, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p12
Reports research findings related to nutrition. Protective function of the catechins in chocolate; Cardiovascular benefits of the French maritime pine extract; Findings about antioxidants, including the discovery of punicic acid in pomegranates.
- Praise for the Pomegranate. FISCHER, SAMANTHA // Natural Solutions;Sep2014, Issue 166, p35
The article focuses on the health benefits of eating pomegranates. The uses of pomegranates in traditional medicine in the treatment of diabetes, dysentery and ulcerations are highlighted. According to the author, pomegranates are rich in essential vitamins and minerals including vitamin K,...
- Antioxidants Protect Arteries. // Better Nutrition;Dec2014, Vol. 76 Issue 12, p11
The article reports a review of several clinical trials that proved that Antioxidants supplements of vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene improves the health of arteries.
- Pomegranates Give the Gift of Antioxidants. // Environmental Nutrition;Dec2002, Vol. 25 Issue 12, p8
Presents facts about the antioxidant properties of pomegranates.
- The Righteous Fruit. CHATTO, JAMES // ROM Magazine;2009, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p31
The article focuses on the religious and health aspects of the fruit pomegranate. Judaic tradition associates the fruit with righteousness as the number of arils it contains matches the 613 commandments of the Torah. Californian growers were delighted to learn that its juice is a powerful...