The Goldies: Going Green
- Historic Dairy Bar Reopens. // FoodService Director;10/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p8
The article reports on the re-opening of the Dairy Bar in the University of New Hampshire in August 2008 after a seven-month renovation. With the reopening of the Dairy Bar, the menu is refocusing on sustainable business practices and local foods. Jon Plodzik of Dairy Bar says he wanted to do...
- 7 Steps to a Greener School. // Kiwi;Sep/Oct2008, p82
The article outlines several steps to make a school sustainable and energy efficient. Allowing students conduct a weekly energy monitoring would help. Partnerships between a school cafeteria and local farms is significant. The use of natural cleaning products and donating reusable or recyclable...
- Insourcing for a Small Planet. // Food Management;Feb2013, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p16
The article informs that the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee has converted its food-services operation to self-operating service. It informs that the decision of self-operation has decided by a committee and the latest construction will include dining services, book store and a...
- UMD to offer free beverages with use of reusable cup. Buzalka, Mike // Food Management Exclusive Insight;9/2/2015, p1
The article reports on the plan of the University of Maryland in College Park to launch a free drinks program in dining halls and campus c-stores in 2015. Students will receive free fountain beverages as well as water, tea or coffee if they use the reusable FreeFills cup. According to Colleen...
- SC Dept. of Education debuts eat-right/be right. // FoodService Director;06/15/97, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p25
Reports on the August 1997 launching of a program `Eat Right-Be Right' by the Office of School Food Service, South Carolina Department of Education in Columbia, to educate students. Reasons for the introduction of the program; Information on the logo which will be used in the campaign.
- MacDonald's take over high school cafeteria. // Curriculum Review;Apr92, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p21
States that the local MacDonald's franchise owner take the cafeteria in Fairview High School in Boulder, Colorado after it was close by the school. Menu serve by the cafeteria; Why the cafeteria was closed; Students that are employed in the cafeteria.
- ...rewriting the book on school foodservice. King, Paul // Nation's Restaurant News;07/21/97, Vol. 31 Issue 29, p69
Reports on the challenges facing American school food service directors as they deal with the new generation of youths. Difference in the expectations of children; Consciousness of kids on what the market has to offer; Installation of fun and sophistication in the luncheon dining experience.
- Stay in line, and no honking. Coeyman, Marjore // Restaurant Business;11/20/95, Vol. 94 Issue 17, p20
Reports on the popularity of a hamburger drive-through operating in a public high school in Bryan, Texas. Drive-throughs as an opportunity to capture the high school student market; Success of the breakfast service; Attractiveness of the idea to campuses with open-school policy.
- Cafeteria facelift rejuvenates sales at Cocoa Beach Jr./Sr. high school. // Food Management;Dec97, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p22
No abstract available.