Asians as "model minorityâ€: Myth, reality, or both?
- Beyond Black and White: The Model Minority Myth and the Invisibility of Asian American Students. Wing, Jean // Urban Review;Nov2007, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p455
This study of diverse Asian American students at a racially integrated public high school illustrates that the achievement gap is a multi-racial problem that cannot be well understood solely in terms of the trajectories of Black and white students. Asian American students demonstrated a high...
- How Good Are the Asians? YONG ZHAO; WEI QIU // Phi Delta Kappan;Jan2009, Vol. 90 Issue 5, p338
The article discusses misconceptions regarding the academic ability of Asian American students. The authors discuss the perception that Asian American students perform better academically than other ethnic groups but suggest this is a generalization as gender and nationality can affect...
- Motivation of Asian Americans to Study Medicine: A Pilot Study. Akins, Ralitsa B. // Academic Leadership (15337812);2007, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p9
This preliminary study lays the ground work in defining the possible motivational factors for Asian Americans to study medicine in the United States. The percentage of Asian American students in U.S. medical schools has been consistently higher than the percentage of Asian Americans in the U.S....
- Asian Americans, Positive Stereotyping, and Philosophy. Lee, Carole J. // APA Newsletters;Fall2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p2
The article discusses the status of Asian Americans in the field of philosophy, focusing on the impacts of positive stereotyping of Asian Americans as model minorities on Asian American philosophy students and faculty. Topics include the academic achievements of Asian Americans in STEM fields...
- Do colleges set Asian quotas? // Newsweek;2/9/1987, Vol. 109 Issue 6, p60
Many of the nation's most competitive schools have experienced huge increases in Asian-American enrollments. But Asian-Americans say they should be doing better and accuse colleges of imposing ceilings to keep them out. Recent admission patternsdo raise troubling questions, but colleges deny...
- Asian Americans. Tice, Terrence N. // Education Digest;Oct95, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p46
Features an article taken from the February 1995 `American Journal of Education' entitled `Asian Americans as Model Minorities?,' by Grace Kao. Remarks on academic performance of Asian Americans.
- PART IX: ETHNIC FOCUS: CHAPTER 62: ASIAN-AMERICAN CONSUMERS: 62.5: Educational Attainment. Miller, Richard K.; Washington, Kelli // Consumer Behavior;2017/2018, Vol. 12, p351
The article offers information on educational attainment of Asian-Americans with half of the population having a bachelor's degree.
- Mathematics, Reading, and Science Achievement of U.S. Students: Alabama-Missouri. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2000, p249
No abstract available.
- Mathematics, Reading, and Science Achievement of U.S. Students: Montana-Wyoming. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2000, p249
No abstract available.