Parliament fails on education reform, in spite of public support
- Protests shut down forum venue. Tomlinson, Damien // Business Insurance;09/25/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 39, p21
Reports that the Melbourne, Victoria-based Crown Casino was forced to close its gambling operations due to protests during the World Economic Forum's 2000 Asia-Pacific summit held in the city. Losses suffered by the casino during the summit held on September 11 to 15, 2000.
- Your money. Loeb, Marshall // Las Vegas Business Press;02/24/97, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p35
Reports on the issues discussed at the 1997 World Economic Forum held at Davos, Switzerland. Continuous growth of the United States economy; Possible rise of the dollar's value; Backlash against globalization; Agreement between the Congress and President Bill Clinton on cutting the rate of...
- Ski resort shapes global harmony. Wood, Paul // Christian Science Monitor;2/3/98, Vol. 90 Issue 47, p1
Focuses on the World Economic Forum, held annually in the town of Davos, Switzerland. Dignitaries attending the 1998 forum including Hillary Rodham Clinton and German Chancellor Helmut Kohl; Why the forum is a good place for businessmen to meet with the seats of power; Comments from Claude...
- The challenges of globalization. Spero, Joan E. // U.S. Department of State Dispatch;09/30/96, Vol. 7 Issue 40, p481
Presents a speech by the US Under Secretary for Economic, Business and Agricultural Affairs Joan E. Spero during the fifth annual meeting of the World Economic Development Congress on September 26, 1996 held in Washington, D.C. Discussion on the challenges of the increasing integration of the...
- Can we talk? Spaeth, Anthony; Branegan, Jay // Time International (South Pacific Edition);2/10/97, Issue 6, p44
Looks at events at the 1997 World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. The political and economic leaders present for the forum; Topics discussed; Media coverage of the event; The prevalence of gossip; Comments from participants. INSETS: Canapes from a feast of ideas.;Davos perspectives..
- Start a company, save the world. Useem, Jerry // Inc.;May97, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p18
Reports on the World Economic Forum held in Davos, Switzerland in April of 1997. Entrepreneurship in the global public interest; World leaders promoting the entrepreneurial spirit; The popularity of Bill Gates at the forum; Status of the European welfare state and the Japanese economy;...
- Eco Forum gets funky. Oppelaar, Justin // Daily Variety;2/4/2002, Vol. 274 Issue 47, p15
Highlights the concert during the first day of the World Economic Forum in New York. Performers of the show; Celebrities present during the show; Efforts to demonstrate the power of music to break cultural barriers.
- Downhill all the way. Elliott, Michael // Bulletin with Newsweek;2/18/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6059, p63
Opinion. Discusses the author's visit to the 1997 World Economic Forum that was held in Davos, Switzerland. The author's experience with skiing; Scientists as the center of attention at the conference; The belief that we may be asking too much of science.
- Big brains to tackle rich-poor gulf. Badenhorst, Piet // Finance Week;Feb2002, p37
Highlights the World Economic Forum in New York. Equality in the political and economic relations between countries; Discussion of the issues on global trade in agriculture; Contribution of the forum to economic debate.