'Internet for Schools' looking smaller, more expensive than planned
- Technology Council aims to link schools with Internet. Daugherty, Christi // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);09/30/96, Vol. 17 Issue 13, p21
Reports that on October 19, 1996 volunteers in New Orleans NetDay will install the wiring systems necessary to connect the schools' computers to the Internet. Benefits of Internet to students; Cost of the equipment; When the first NetDay took place; Challenge facing the New Orleans Technology...
- British schools plug into the Internet. Butterworth, Margaret // Orana;Aug95, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p205
Reports on the use of the Internet by schools in Great Britain. British Education Secretary Gillian Shepard's launch of a consultation paper `Superhighways for Education'; British Telecom's investment on linking school networks to the Internet.
- The Internet to be part of every school. McIntosh, Trudi // Orana;Aug95, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p170
Focuses on the use of the Internet in schools in Australia. Survey on teachers' confidence in their computer literacy skills; Need for schools to focus on developing multimedia skills; Problem areas to be addressed before digital communications in education are implemented.
- Singapore schools on the Net. Butterworth, Margaret // Orana;May96, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p124
Reports on projects aimed at giving primary and secondary schools in Singapore access to the Internet. Developments at Raffles Girls' School; Multimedia publishing; Spin-ofs in the education sector.
- Thousands turn out to wire Calif. schools for the Internet. West, Peter // Education Week;3/20/96, Vol. 15 Issue 26, p8
Reports on the installation of Internet links in schools in California. Examples include the Flynn Elementary School; Technology connection plans at the James B. Davidson Middle School; Support of the project by President Bill Clinton; Questions on distributing access to the Internet.
- Working bee. Dancer, Helen // Australian Personal Computer;May96, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p275
Reports that the New South Wales State government has made a commitment to put schools on the Internet. Launch of NetDay 96; Comments by Jim Graham, of the Armidale School; Schools in towns participation in multilevel exercise interconnectivity with public school.
- Internet for Schools program on track, in spite of bidder's tender complaints. Halilovic, Emir // Prague Business Journal;10/22/2001, Vol. 6 Issue 42
Reports the complaints of bidders on the use of Internet for school programs in Czech Republic. Business competition between Czech Telecom and AutoCont On Line; Announcement on the ruling of the Anti-Monopoly Office on the consortium issue; Elimination of competitors due to procedural reasons.
- Fixing District Report Cards. Dyrli, Odvard Egil // District Administration;Sep2003, Vol. 39 Issue 9, p65
Cautions school districts against disseminating inaccurate information to parents and prospective residents through the Internet. Importance of making sure the information available is up-to-date and accurate; Need to thoroughly review fiscal, demographic and performance data; Independent sites...
- Freedom and Filters. Johnson, Doug // Library Media Connection;Feb2003, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p110
Comments on the regulation of Internet use among schoolchildren in schools in the U.S. Key legislations on the issue; Efforts to protect children from unsuitable Internet content; Implications on education.