Fostering Equity & Diversity in Faculty Recruitment
- The Trouble with Diversifying the Faculty. Michaels, Walter Benn // Liberal Education;Winter2011, Vol. 97 Issue 1, p14
The article discusses the challenges associated with the diversification of academic labor at universities and colleges in the U.S. It mentions the call for faculty diversity to prevent the occurrence of race and sex-related setbacks in the country's university system. It also cites the need to...
- The Transition to Equity in South African Higher Education: Governance, Fairness, and Trust in Everyday Academic Practice. Thaver, Beverley // International Journal of Politics, Culture & Society;2010, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p43
In South Africa, 15 years into a new political order, higher education institutions are under pressure to create and sustain the conditions necessary for the consolidation of democracy. One of the more important of these conditions is the need to shift their academic staff profiles in ways that...
- Against preferential treatment. Kekes, John // Academe;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 83 Issue 1, p35
Focuses on the preferential treatment of minorities and women in the recruitment of new faculty members in the United States. Violation of academic responsibilities; Inevitable consequence of preferential treatment; Production of a new class of victims.
- National standards for teachers. // Youth Studies Australia;Dec1996, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p6
Reports that new teachers throughout Australia will be required to meet national standards and graduate from accredited university courses before working in school classrooms. Introduction of government's national review of teacher education courses in university education faculties.
- Class-size cuts set off hiring spree in Calif. Bradley, Ann // Education Week;9/04/96, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p1
No abstract available.
- The perils of outcome-based teacher education. Towers, James M. // Phi Delta Kappan;Apr94, Vol. 75 Issue 8, p624
Discusses difficulties in sorting and selecting teacher candidates by use of outcome based teacher education. Outcome based education as defined by the Minnesota State Department of Education; Implementation of mastery learning in the classroom; Obligations of teacher in their suggestions of...
- Teacher-Hiring Memo Rankles Conn. Educators. // Education Week;11/17/2010, Vol. 30 Issue 12, p5
The article reports on a memo sent by Bristol, Connecticut's superintendent of schools, Philip Streifer, about hiring teachers who are graduates of prestigious colleges and universities.
- Concorsi `corruption' leads to court. Abbott, Alison // Nature;4/27/1995, Vol. 374 Issue 6525, p756
Reports on the suspension of eight professors in Italy after being charged with corruption in making academic appointments. Appointment of younger collaborators in preference to qualified candidates; Allegations of nepotism.
- Italy recruits new faculty under old rules. Abbott, Alison // Nature;11/16/1995, Vol. 378 Issue 6554, p228
Reports on developments related to Italy's rules for university faculty posts. Criticism of national competitions for the posts; Corruption in the selection committees; Legislation to change the rules of the selection.