Developing reading and listening comprehension tests based on the Sentence Verification Technique (SVT)
- Giving a text voice can improve students' understanding. Beck, Isabel L.; McKeown, Margaret G. // Reading Research Quarterly;Apr-Jun95, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p220
Examines the role of text voice in students' comprehension of textual content. Features that engage students in reading; Tests on four versions of a text passage; Advantage of voiced coherent passage over all other passages in recall and in questions; Effectiveness of texts with voice.
- The complexity of Comprehension. Santa, Carol Minnick // Reading Today;Feb/Mar2000, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p30
Focuses on teaching reading comprehension. Discussion on the article titled `Reading Research Quarterly,' by Dolores Durkin; Details on an effective comprehension instruction; Examples of organization strategies.
- A Special Vision. // Writing;Oct2001 Teachers, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p3
Presents a prereading vocabulary for word comprehension teaching. Discussion of words; Responsibilities of students for teaching the words; Measurement of student activities.
- A Critique of Reading Improvement Training. Underwood, William J. // Training & Development Journal;Mar1967, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p14
Evaluates some reading improvement training programs in the U.S. Oversimplification of the reading process; Use of speed and comprehension as end-results criteria; Definitions of comprehension; Training design; Comparison of machine and non-machine training; Problem of transfer between the...
- Barriers to listening effectiveness. Golden, Steven // CPA Journal;Aug97, Vol. 67 Issue 8, p74
Presents a questionnaire that lists the common problems or barriers to listening effectiveness. Significance of the test.
- Visualize the story to help students comprehend. Robb, Laura // Instructor-Primary;Mar1997, Vol. 106 Issue 6, p46
Recommends activities for teaching students how to comprehend a story through visualization. Drawing and description of elements from nonfiction materials; Illustration of elements from familia books.
- Using visuals to enhance secondary students' reading comprehension of expository texts. Rakes, Glenda C.; Rakes, Thomas A. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Sep95, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p46
Presents strategies that can enhance reading comprehension by helping secondary students to use graphic aids more effectively and to create their own graphic aids. Importance of the ability to read, interpret, and construct graphic displays; Strategies for using textbook visuals; Matching...
- Reading in the content areas: Unlocking the secrets and making them work. Dunn, Jacqueline E. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Oct2000, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p168
Presents an article on helping students understand and remember the information presented in their textbooks. Comprehension and information processing among students in reading textbooks; Development of a method called the check and line where students monitor their comprehension line by line.
- The computer doesn't embarrass me. Hasselbring, Ted S.; Goin, Laura // Educational Leadership;Nov97, Vol. 55 Issue 3, p30
Presents the Orange County Literacy Project, a joint effort between the Orange County, Florida schools and Peabody College of Vanderbilt University, which seeks to improve the writing and reading skills of middle school students. Approach to literacy instruction; Literacy instruction through...