Mixed Market Recovery For HDD
- 'Cowboy Contractors' Still A Threat To HDD. Griffin, Jeff // Underground Construction;Sep2005, Vol. 60 Issue 9, p42
Discusses the long-term damage caused by small contracting companies with little or no experience in directional drilling of installing underground duct for fiber optic cable in the United States. Factor in the unsuccessful efforts of a bureaucrat at the California Department of Transportation...
- Lady Liberty Welcomes Visitors During Construction Project. // Government Product News;Nov2000, Vol. 39 Issue 12, p38
Focuses on the challenges faced with the installation of a casing for underground pipe lines on Liberty Island, New York. Problem with visitors; Archeological concerns on the island; Use of a directional drill and an industrial vacuum in the installation.
- Direct Pipe Method Comes To U.S. // Underground Construction;Nov2011, Vol. 66 Issue 11, p20
The article reports on the installation of three underground pipelines in the U.S. It mentions that the installation of the pipelines by REM Directional has used Direct Pipe method for the first time. It also notes that the Direct Pipe method has been used on a horizontal directional drilling...
- Contractors roundtable. Carpenter, Robert // Underground Construction;Jan1998, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p68
Presents the views of several underground pipeline contractor executives in the United States on various issues concerning the industry. Concerns over industry consolidations; Benefits of partnering for the industry; Refocusing of customer-service strategies in a low cost environment;...
- Award-winning HDD water project. Griffin, Jeff // Underground Construction;Jul98, Vol. 53 Issue 7, p47
Details Stanley Consultants' small-budget project which won the Grand Conceptor Award from the Consulting Engineers Council of Iowa. Innovative use of horizontal directional drilling (HDD) on water line replacement project in West Des Moines; Horizontal Drilling Technologies' installation of...
- Pipeline Through LA Proves Challenging. Nutter, Mark // Underground Construction;Jul2000, Vol. 55 Issue 7, p6
Reports on the crude oil pipeline that was installed underground in Los Angeles, California as of July 2000. Challenges in installing pipeline in the area; Description of the directional drill requirement; Effect of oil viscosity to the network design; Role of OC-1 Ethernet fiber optics in...
- New Association Tackles Cross Bore Issue. // Underground Construction;Jun2008, Vol. 63 Issue 6, p30
Information about several issues discussed at the Common Ground Alliance Annual Conference, sponsored by the Cross Bore Safety Association (CBSA) in Las Vegas, Nevada on March 26, 2008 is presented. Topics include the elimination of gas lines intersecting sanitary sewers and development of both...
- What's new in directional drilling & pipe locators. // Pipeline & Gas Journal;Jan2000, Vol. 227 Issue 1, p59
Features systems and equipment being used by contractors and utilities to improve directional drilling and underground pipe tracking and location operations. Includes customized drilling and reaming tools from AIM Directional Tools; Mud motor from Sharewell Inc.; Product line of Carson Underground.
- Laney Finds 'Pushing' Pipe Has Its Advantages. Reed, Michael // Underground Construction;Dec2015, Vol. 70 Issue 12, p20
The article discusses the advantages of using the Direct Pipe technology from tunnel-boring machine manufacturer Herrenknecht AG for underground pipeline installation projects based on the observation of drilling contractor Laney Directional Drilling Co., including reduced hydraulic fracture risk.