Substance use and dietary practices among students attending alternative high schools: results from a pilot study
- Tobacco Use Among Students Aged 13-15 Years -- Philippines, 2000 and 2003. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;2/4/2005, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p94
Presents the results of a survey on tobacco use among youths, conducted by the Global Tobacco Youth Survey in the Philippines in 2000 and 2003. Decline in the proportions of secondary school students who smoked cigarettes and other tobacco products; Increase in the proportion of students who...
- Impact of environmental factors on marijuana use in 11 European countries. Pejnović Franelić, Iva; Kuzman, Marina; Pavić Šimetin, Ivana; Kern, Josipa // Croatian Medical Journal;Aug2011, Vol. 52 Issue 4, p446
Aim To investigate the association between environmental factors (perceived availability of marijuana, perceived use among friends and siblings, use of alcohol and tobacco, family structure, parental control, school performance) and lifetime prevalence and frequent and early marijuana use in...
- Variance in substance use between rural black and white Mississippi high school students. Allen, Ola; Page, Randy M. // Adolescence;Summer94, Vol. 29 Issue 114, p401
Investigates the extent to which the use of substances varies between black and white adolescent students. Sample of rural Mississippi adolescents; Use of drug frequency questionnaire; Veracity of black-white differences in self-reports; Comparison of the differences in substance abuse in black...
- New Providence High School: A breathalizer test kit on... // Curriculum Review;Apr91, Vol. 30 Issue 8, p16
Focuses on the alcohol and drugs ban at the New Providence High School in New Jersey in all activities, organizations and social gatherings in the school. How high school seniors attending the prom are subjected to a breathalizer test to conform the school's no alcohol and drug use policy; Who...
- Muscle madness. Perillo, Jennifer // Scholastic Choices;Jan95, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p13
Focuses on the use of anabolic steroids by high-school students in the United States. Steroid use by professional football player Lyle Alzado; Obsession with physical development; Symptoms of steroid use.
- A study to determine the effect of extracurricular participation on student alcohol and drug use... Cooley, Van E.; Henriksen, Larry W. // Journal of Alcohol & Drug Education;Winter95, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p71
Examines how alcohol and drug abuse among secondary school students are influenced by participation in extracurricular activities. Variations in experimentation and use; Tobacco; Alcohol; Marijuana; Other drugs which include stimulants, depressants and inhalants.
- Drug Poll. // Time;6/4/1951, Vol. 57 Issue 23, p67
The article reports on the result of a survey conducted by junior and senior high school principals in New York City which showed that only 154 cases of drug addiction were found in the schools and that the rate of addiction in students is one in 2,000.
- Role of education has changed. // Fedgazette;Jan1992, Vol. 4 Issue 1, pB19
Presents an excerpt of an article concerning the changes in the role of education in South Dakota, from the periodical `Capital Journal.' Pierre Board of Education's concern over the problem of drug and alcohol abuse among junior and senior high school students; Amount spent by the board on a...
- Shyness and sociability: A dangerous combination for illicit substance use in adolescent males? Page, Randy M. // Adolescence;Winter90, Vol. 25 Issue 100, p803
Examines the relationship of shyness and sociability to illicit substance use in a sample of 654 male high school students. Shyness as an important risk factor in substance use; Increased used of hallucinogenic substances; Implications for professionals who work with adolescents.