Serotonin transporter gene polymorphisms and brain function during emotional distraction from cognitive processing in posttraumatic stress disorder
- Exercise augmentation compared to usual care for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Randomised Controlled Trial (The REAP study: Randomised Exercise Augmentation for PTSD). // BMC Psychiatry;2011, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p115
The article discusses a study by Simon Rosenbaum and colleagues on determining the role of exercise in the treatment of primary post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It will investigate the effect of an individualised and progressive exercise intervention on PTSD symptoms, depression and...
- Validation of cross-cultural child mental health and psychosocial research instruments: adapting the Depression Self-Rating Scale and Child PTSD Symptom Scale in Nepal. // BMC Psychiatry;2011, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p127
The article discusses a study by Brandon A Kohrt and colleagues conducted to evaluate the cross-cultural validity of child mental health and psychosocial research instruments. The study involved transcultural translation and alternative validation for the Depression Self-Rating Scale (DSRS) and...
- Women's experiences of symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after traumatic childbirth: a review and critical appraisal. James, Stella // Archives of Women's Mental Health;Dec2015, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p761
This paper critically analyses nine studies on postnatal posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) following traumatic childbirth, in order to find common themes of PTSD symptoms, using the cognitive model of PTSD as a guide; it critically appraised one of the studies in depth and it attempted to...
- Post-traumatic stress disorder. Seedat, S. // South African Journal of Psychiatry;Aug2013 Supplement, p187
The article presents guidelines for treating post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) published in the South African Society of Psychiatrists (SASOP) Treatment Guidelines for Psychiatric Disorders. Symptoms of PTSD include nightmares and hallucinations. Information on the diagnosis and risk factors...
- POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER: A GUIDE. De Castro, Raymond M. // Foreign Service Journal;May2008, Vol. 85 Issue 5, p28
The article presents a guide to understand Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). It mentions some factors that are most commonly associated with people who develop PTSD. The method of diagnosis and evaluation by mental health professionals like psychiatrists and psychologists, are stated along...
- Do Genetics and Childhood Environment Combine to Pose Risk for Adult PTSD? Hughes, Debra // Neuropsychiatry Reviews;Apr2008, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p1
The article presents a study conducted by the researchers of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) which revealed the interaction between child abuse and gene polymorphisms related to stress response help predict the risk of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms during...
- Linking in vivo brain serotonin type 1B receptor density to phenotypic heterogeneity of posttraumatic stress symptomatology. Pietrzak, R H; Henry, S; Southwick, S M; Krystal, J H; Neumeister, A // Molecular Psychiatry;Apr2013, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p399
A letter to the editor is presented which discusses a study on the relationship of brain serotonin type 1B (5-HT1B) expression with the post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptom model.
- Researchers find novel drug target for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder. // Biomedical Market Newsletter;9/12/2011, Vol. 21, p179
The article reports on a study from Mount Sinai School of Medicine which has identified that post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can be treated by the therapeutic target serotonin 1B.
- Stress that lingers after accidents can be crippling. Depp, Michael // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);10/02/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 15, p36
Focuses on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in New Orleans, Louisiana. Definition and symptoms of PTSD; Events contributing to PTSD; Impact of the disorder on the life expectancy of PTSD patients; Discussion on methods employed in cognitive behavior therapy and psychosocial intervention.