Echinocandins: Addressing outstanding questions surrounding treatment of invasive fungal infections
- The Role of Micafungin and Anidulafungin in the Treatment of Systemic Fungal Infections: Applications and Patents for Two Novel Echinocandins. Hinske, Ludwig Christian G.; Weis, Florian; Heyn, Jens; Hinske, Patricia; Beiras-Fernandez, Andres // Recent Patents on Anti-Infective Drug Discovery;Apr2012, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p1
Fungal infections are becoming an increasing menace in the hospital care setting. Among them, non-albicans Candida species have gained significant attention. Especially in the ICU setting, therapeutic options are limited in many cases by the side-effects of conventional antifungal therapy....
- Echinocandin pharmacodynamics: review and clinical implications. Pound, Melanie W.; Townsend, Mary L.; Drew, Richard H. // Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (JAC);Jun2010, Vol. 65 Issue 6, p1108
Echinocandins have made a significant impact in the treatment of select invasive fungal infections, most notably invasive candidiasis and aspergillosis. However, treatment outcomes for such infections are still less than optimal, prompting an examination of dosing and administration techniques...
- Delayed-release Posaconazole Tablets Offer Increased Exposure in a Fasted State. Lindsay, Caroline A. // Infectious Disease Alert;Apr2014, Vol. 33 Issue 7, p76
The article focuses on Posaconazole delayed-released tablets that was recently approved for prophylaxis of invasive Aspergillus and Candida infections in immunocompromised patients at least 13 years of age. It notes that these new delayed-release tablets produce superior drug exposure than the...
- Triazole Antifungal Agents in Invasive Fungal Infections: A Comparative Review. Lass-Florl, Cornelia // Drugs;2011, Vol. 71 Issue 18, p2405
Invasive fungal disease continues to be a problem associated with significant morbidity and high mortality in immunocompromised and, to a lesser extent, immunocompetent individuals. Triazole antifungals have emerged as front-line drugs for the treatment and prophylaxis of many systemic mycoses....
- Efficacy and Safety of Voriconazole in the Treatment of Acute Invasive Aspergillosis. Denning, David W.; Ribaud, Patricia; Milpied, Noel; CAillot, Denis; Herbrecht, Raoul; Thiel, Eckhard; Haas, Andrea; Ruhnke, Markus; Lode, Hartmut // Clinical Infectious Diseases;3/1/2002, Vol. 34 Issue 5, p563
Evaluates the clinical efficacy and safety of voriconazole in the treatment of acute invasive aspergillosis (IA) in neutropenic and other immunocompromised patients. Clinical features and sites of IA; Clinical outcome of treatment; Factors that influenced the outcome.
- Posaconazole. // Reactions Weekly;8/7/2010, Issue 1313, p35
The article describes the case of a 19-year-old man with acute myeloid leukaemia who developed aspergillosis despite prophylactic treatment with posaconazole .
- Fluconazole. // Reactions Weekly;9/18/2010, Issue 1319, p24
The article describes the case of a 64-year-old woman who presented with a 3-day history of several well-demarcated, erythematous ovoid patches on her arms, palms and lower leg after receiving treatment with oral fluconazole for vaginal candidiasis.
- Hepatic Candidiasis in Cancer Patients: The Evolving Picture of the Syndrome. Thaler, Michael; Pastakia, Behram; Shawker, Thomas H.; O'Leary, Timothy; Pizzo, Philip A. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jan88, Vol. 108 Issue 1, p88
Presents a study which examined the evolving nature of hepatosplenic candidiasis, focusing on diagnosis and treatment. Characteristics of focal hepatosplenic; Use of intensive chemotherapy; Reason for recommending the use of empirical anti-fungal therapy for high-risk patients; Description of...
- Prophylactic Antifungal Therapy in the Intensive Care Unit. Rex, John H.; Sobel, Jack D. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;4/15/2001, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p1191
Examines the effectiveness of the use of antifungal prophylaxis in the prevention of candidal infections among intensive care unit (ICU) patients who do not have neutropenia. Factors which may contribute to the possibility of the use of prophylaxis; Relevance of prophylaxis to the population of...