Exercise and Dietary Programming to Promote Maternal Health Fitness and Weight Management During Lactation
- Exercise and Lactation: Are They Compatible? Carey, Gale B.; Quinn, Timothy J. // Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology;Feb2001, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p55
Examines the compatibility of exercise during lactation. Effect of exercise on milk composition and volume; Improvement in cardiovascular fitness in lactating; Evidence of quicker return to pre-pregnancy body weight.
- The effects of regular postpartum exercise on mother and child. Larson-Meyer, D. Enette // International SportMed Journal;2003, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p1
Regular postpartum exercise is likely to have many health benefits which may include promoting body fat/body weight loss; promoting aerobic fitness and strength, optimising bone health; improving mood and promoting regular lifelong exercise habits in the mother and her offspring. While research...
- Long-Form DR Maintains Airtime Totals With Fewer New Shows. Savko, Jessica // Response;Dec2007, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p47
The article reports on the performance of health-and-fitness long-form direct response television (DRTV) advertisements in the U.S. Health-and-fitness long-form DRTV advertising continued to dominate the infomercial industry for the six consecutive year, with 26% of all new 30-minute direct...
- How to become your own personal trainer with the use of a heart rate monitor. Smith, Caroline // Fire Engineering;Jun96, Vol. 149 Issue 6, p118
Describes a personal exercise program for firefighters. Use of the heart rate monitor in managing the workout program; Definition of terms used in physical fitness training; Running program; Pace and exercise patterns; Use of weights during workouts.
- "I stopped making excuses". Autuori, Jenna // Shape;Apr2010, Vol. 29 Issue 8, p134
The article discusses an exercise and weight loss program which was used by Diane Carbonell to lose 159 pounds. A discussion of dietary changes and a work out regimen which Carbonell used to lose weight and become more physically fit is presented. Techniques which Carbonell used to stay...
- Preventive fitness. Gladwin, Laura A. // American Fitness;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 14 Issue 6, p34
Presents the practice parameters and professional objectives for an AFP Fitness Practitioner Certification. Health appraisal and fitness testing; Medical referrals; Individual documentation; Exercise program design; Nutrition and weight management.
- Finding a balance. Harrell, Jessica // Shape;May97, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p102
Relates how Jessica Harrell lost 25 pounds through exercise. Diagnosis of hypothyroidism during seventh grade; Poor eating habits and lack of exercise in high school; Realization of possible health complications due to weight problems; Development of personal nutritional and exercise program;...
- Sharpen your fitness smarts. Olson, PhD, HEALTH EXPERT Michele // All You;Oct2012, Vol. 9 Issue 10, p53
The article offers health advice and strategies to address exercise problems such as tracking the weight and starting a fitness program.
- Dietary Supplementation of Female Rats with Elk Velvet Antler Improves Physical and Neurological Development of Offspring. Jiongran Chen; Woodbury, Murray R.; Alcorn, Jane; Honaramooz, Ali // Evidence-based Complementary & Alternative Medicine (eCAM);2012, p1
Elk velvet antler (EVA) has a traditional use for promotion of general health. However, evidence of EVA effects at different lifestages is generally lacking. This paper investigated the effects of long-term maternal dietary EVA supplementation on physical, reflexological and neurological...
- Duke Fitness Center. Klotter, Jule // Townsend Letter;Feb/Mar2006, Issue 271/272, p40
The article reports on the offering of a medically-supervised, residential, weight management program at the Duke Fitness Center in Durham, North Carolina. The center integrates nutrition, exercise, and behavior modification to help clients make lifestyle changes necessary to improve health and...