On track to meet tomorrow's needs
- System, Organization, and Agricultural Reform in the Antebellum South, 1840-1860. Collins, Steven G. // Agricultural History;Winter2001, Vol. 75 Issue 1, p1
Reports on the role of railroads on agricultural reform in Southern United States during the mid-1800s. Improvement of labor efficiency and discipline; Modernization of agriculture and slave labor in the region; Expansion of the market with the growth of agricultural and commercial organizations.
- Rail trails. Rada, Joe; Gibson, J. Savage // Southern Living;May94, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p15
Features abandoned railroad tracks in the Southern states that have become linear parks for outdoor recreation. Caprock Canyon Trailway in Texas Panhandle; Pinellas Trail in Clearwater, Florida; Katy Trail in Missouri; Virginia Creeper Trail in Virginia. INSET: No end of trails..
- Through the heartland. Poole, William // Sierra;May/Jun95, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p48
Describes the second leg of a train trip through the Southern United States. Features of Amtrak Superliner train cars; Tourist destinations in New Orleans, Louisiana; Weather and architecture in Chicago, Illinois.
- Underground railroad. // Southern Living;Nov95, Vol. 30 Issue 11, p62
Calls for information on churches, houses or other sites that were former parts of the Underground Railroad in the Southern States.
- Traffic in the south tests `car is king' mentality. Nifong, Christina // Christian Science Monitor;7/8/97, Vol. 89 Issue 155, p4
Focuses on transportation problems in the southern United States in the late 1990s. The so-called Car is King mindset; Alternative transportation solutions including light rail and high-speed rail; Convincing people of the need for alternative transportation planning; What states are attempting...
- Taking the freedom `train.' // Junior Scholastic;12/06/96, Vol. 99 Issue 8, p17
Discusses the underground railroad that slaves went through to escape from the Southern slave states to the North to freedom during 1830 to 1861. Life of a runaway slave; Escaping their masters; Range of time of the underground railroad; Numbers of slaves helped by the freedom train;...
- Take a DVD Tour of CSX and Norfolk Southern with Green Frog. // Model Railroad News;Apr2012, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p71
The article offers a preview of the DVD releases "The Tour of CSX, Volume 5, The Heart of Dixie," and the "Norfolk Southern Tour of the Thoroughbred," Volume 6.
- CSX Getting Help in Atlanta. Gallagher, John // Traffic World;9/6/2004, Vol. 36 Issue 268, p25
Reports on CSX Corp.'s partnership with Omnitrax Inc. to help boost railroad service in the Southeast. Railroads owned by Omnitrax in the region; Service delays and capacity constraints encountered by CSX in 2004.
- SOUTHEAST Bond-Watch. Sigo, Shelly; DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;2/10/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32068, p27
The article presents information on issues related to state bonds in the Southeastern States. Five public employees were named in a 34-count federal grand jury indictment involving reconstruction and expansion of the $4 billion Jefferson County, Alabama sewer system, according to the Federal...