One for the Road
- The wooden canoe. Kimber, R. // Country Journal;Jun88, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p58
Discusses wooden canoes and how they are made. Looks at the canoe-building skills of Jerry Stelmore of Atkinson, Me. Stelmole teaches canoe building under the auspices of the North Woods Arts Center (NWAC) in Atkinson, Me. INSET: Canoe sources and schools..
- One weekend--one canoe. Driscoll, Jamus // Outdoor Life;Feb97, Vol. 199 Issue 2, p38
Presents a step-by-step process of constructing a canoe contained in the book `Building the Six-Hour Canoe'. Laying out the panels; Marking the sheer line; Mating the panels; Attaching the stems; Attaching the frame; Pulling the boat together; Fitting the chine logs; Attaching the gunwales;...
- The legacy of Grand Lake. Robinson, Jerome B.; Mendlowitz, Benjamin // Field & Stream;May94, Vol. 99 Issue 1, p50
Features the manufacture and history of Grand Lake canoes or Grand Lakers. Popularity of Grand Lakers in Maine's recreational fishing industry; Difficulty of obtaining or buying Grand Lake canoes; Reliability and durability of Grand lakers; Manufacture of Grand Lake canoes by a handful of local...
- CONCRETE CANOES. Petroski, Henry // American Scientist;Sep/Oct2000, Vol. 88 Issue 5, p390
Features the making of canoes out of reinforced concrete. Details on the composition of concrete; Information on the development of the use of concrete in engineering; How reinforced concrete was used to build canoes; Details on concrete canoe races.
- Makepeace drawn to canoe making. Cano, Angele // Hub (Hay River, NT);4/18/2012, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p3
The article discusses the canoe making experience of Tom Makepeace, a retired carpenter and former Government of Northwest Territories employee in Ontario.
- Merrimack Canoes. Street, Erin Shaw // Southern Living;Aug2012, Vol. 47 Issue 8, pGA6
This article discusses the handcrafted boats made by Randy Pew of Merrimack Canoes in Crossville, Tennessee. Topics include eco-friendly woods utilized by the company, the 100 man-hours it takes to build each boat, and the length of time it takes to fill an order.
- an unexpected journey OR build your dreams and never mind the sharks. // News from Native California;Winter2013/2014, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p12
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of building a canoe, the journey supposedly made possible by the dedication to the Tongva culture of chayaakewe', one of the many native Californians who work to bring their languages and cultural ways back into people's...
- Concrete Canoe. BRODWIN, ERIN // Popular Science;Oct2013, Vol. 283 Issue 4, p78
The article offers step-by-step instructions for building a concrete mini-canoe.
- A Wooden Canoe Built by a Hollywood Actor. MOSHER, DAVE // Popular Science;May2014, Vol. 284 Issue 5, p69
The article discusses actor Nick Offerman's project constructing an 18-foot wooden canoe, a process documented in his book "Paddle Your Own Canoe."