BEST OF THE BLOGS
- NEWS IN BRIEF. // People Management;7/29/2010, p7
This section offers news briefs on personnel management in Great Britain as of July 2010 including the rejection by the cabin crew of British Airways of the offer of the airline, approval of executive bonuses at railroad operator Network Rail and abolition of the Agricultural Wages Board.
- LINKS & NOTES. // People Management;12/9/2010, p15
A list of web links to and notes on news related to personnel management in Great Britain as of December 9, 2010 is presented including a blog by employee engagement specialist Ian Buckingham, another blog by Tim Smedley, and remuneration of high earners.
- Knowledge is power for opportunity. Davis, Miles // Recruiter;7/21/2010, p21
The article reports on the significance of a more specialist approach for employee recruitment in Great Britain. It notes that thrust in public sector spending develops opportunities and threats for the employers. Higher recruitment risks suggest that employers want to make things fall into...
- DOD's blog: Below-inflation pay increases hurt businesses. O'Donovan, Debi // Mortgage Strategy (Online Edition);6/14/2013, p8
The article offers information on the results of research which assessed the cuts in the salaries of British employees. It mentions that low wages could negatively affect business performances. According to the author, reward managers as well as human resource managers play an important role to...
- notepad. // People Management;7/15/2010, p15
This section presents news briefs related to personnel management in Great Britain compiled as of July 2010. Retailing chain HMV has trained employees in interrogation techniques to be able to gain confessions from staff who are suspected of being dishonest. A study conducted by reward...
- One million tiny plays about work. Taylor, Craig // People Management;7/30/2009, Vol. 15 Issue 16, p46
The article presents a conversation between two women working for an accountancy firm in Reading, England, which focuses on the issue of management checking their profiles on the Facebook Web site. One of the women claims their company has a freelance employee who checks out employees' pages on...
- The links effect. Reilly, Peter // People Management;7/16/2009, Vol. 15 Issue 15, p20
The article discusses options in bridging cultural and political boundaries related to the implementation of the human resources (HR) shared services model by public-sector organisations or multinationals in Great Britain. The challenges faced in setting up partnership-based shared services...
- Absent minded. Preece, Richard // Occupational Health;Dec2011, Vol. 63 Issue 12, p12
The article discusses the lack of appreciation of the problem of absenteeism in the workplace. Focus is given to the 2011 survey of attendance management conducted by Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) for claiming significant improvement in attendance levels without actual...
- Public sector workers face pension levy. Parr, Chris // Dental Nursing;Nov2010, Vol. 6 Issue 11, p619
The article offers information on the increase of public sector employees' contribution for their pension plans.