ON MY AGENDA
- The Algerian Retrenchment System: A Financial and Economic Evaluation Ruppert, Elizabeth // World Bank Economic Review;Jan1999, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p155
The article discusses the retrenchment system adopted by the government of Algeria to layoff workers from the public sector. Algeria's public sector reportedly operates at a mere 35% capacity and is characterized by vast redundancies and high unemployment. A welfare model was used to assess the...
- ON REGENERATION. Sadek, Jackie // Estates Gazette;7/17/2010, Issue 1028, p54
The author expresses views on the projected job cuts in the public sector in Great Britain in 2010.
- Report: planned job cuts rise 22% in November. // Business Journal (Central New York);12/9/2005, Vol. 19 Issue 49, p7
The article presents information on the monthly job-cut report which was released on December 7, 2005 by placement firm Challenger Gray & Christmas Inc. According to the report, with heavy downsizing in the automotive and government sectors underway, planned job cuts in the United States surged...
- JOBS AT RISK AS UK CONFIDENCE PLUMMETS. // Accountancy;Mar2009, Vol. 143 Issue 1387, p73
The article looks at research conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), which shows that businesses in Great Britain are expecting to experience job cutbacks in 2009. The effects of reduced bank lending to the private and public sectors on business...
- Treat Layoffs as a Last Resort. Clemmer, Jim // Executive Excellence;Jun2002, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p8
Explores the long-term impact of layoffs and downsizing on the company. Effect on employee morale and productivity; Concept of dumbsizing; Recommendations to avoid mass layoffs.
- Layoffs bring new risks. Greenwald, Judy // Business Insurance;02/12/2001, Vol. 35 Issue 7, p1
Reports on the risks of corporate downsizing in the United States. Strategies in for minimizing potential liability exposure of employers; Criteria for evaluating employee performance; Importance of multi-factored layoff system and compliance with federal and state laws.
- Do's and don't's of downsizing. Pinto, Jim // Process & Control Engineering (PACE);Nov2009, Vol. 62 Issue 10, p27
The article offers tips on the alternatives to downsizing and lay offs to prevent devastating long-term results both in the organization and employees.
- Challenger: Sept. Layoffs. Down 44% From Year Ago. // Bond Buyer;10/7/2010, Vol. 374 Issue 33395, p6
The article reports that the layoffs rate in the U.S. has decreased to 44% in September led by the government and nonprofit sector which fells to 37,151 compared to 34,768 in August.
- Tuesday, Bloody Tuesday. Daniels, Cora // Fortune International (Europe);03/06/2000, Vol. 141 Issue 5, p138
Reports that Tuesday is a common day for companies to announce mass layoffs in the United States. Statistics on mass layoffs during Tuesdays from Challenger Gray & Christmas; Citation on the mass layoffs done by International Business Machines Corp. and AT&T; Identification of Thursday as a...