Determinants of Teachers' Intentions to Teach Physically Active Physical Education Classes
- Students' Physical Activity Levels and Teachers' Active Supervision During Fitness Instruction. van der Mars, Hans; Darst, Paul; Vogler, Bill; Cusimano, Barbara // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Oct1998, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p57
Studies the active supervision patterns of physical educators in the U.S. Rate of moderate to vigorous physical activity (MVPA) levels among the students; Correlation between corrective feedback and MVPA behavior; Role of teachers within a process-oriented approach in physical education.
- Comprehensive assessment through collaboration: A partnership model. Lehnhard, Holly R.; Lehnhard, Robert // Physical Educator;Late Winter92, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p7
Describes a partnership between the University of Maine and public school physical educators from the state of Maine. Goal of the Maine School Children Physical Fitness Project; Support for the project.
- Clarifying physical education teacher-coach responsibilities: A self-analysis guide for those in... Staffo, Donald F. // Physical Educator;Late Winter92, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p52
Discusses the difference between working with students and working with athletes in physical education and sport coaching. Separate and distinct roles of teaching and coaching; Commitment of many people in dual role positions to coaching rather than teaching; Lack of clear job descriptions and...
- Multicultural understanding in physical education: A comparison of urban and rural perspectives. Sparks III, William G.; Wayman, Landace Logan // Physical Educator;Spring93, Vol. 50 Issue 2, p58
Studies the knowledge and attitude of physical education teachers toward multicultural education in rural and urban settings in the United States. Current practices in multicultural education in physical education; Difference in the attitude of teachers in the rural and urban areas; Teachers as...
- Behaviors of inner-city teachers following the introduction... Lacon, Simon A.; Curtner-Smith, Matthew D. // Physical Educator;Spring98, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p101
Presents a study that used descriptive-analytic method to described how British physical education teachers working in depressed urban setting spent their time while teaching summer activities following the introduction of the National Curriculum Physical Education (NCPE). Participants and...
- Shaping up physical education. Treanor, Laura; Housner, Lynn // Education Digest;May99, Vol. 64 Issue 9, p58
Presents guidelines to determine the quality of a physical education (PE) program, from the National Association for Sport & Physical Education. Standards forming the cornerstone of a high-quality PE program; Selection of PE teachers; Coverage of the PE program.
- A New Approach to Teaching 'Lifelong' Fitness To Grades K-5. Knop, Steve // Teaching Elementary Physical Education;Jan2002, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p21
Demonstrates fitness activities to classroom teachers and students. Use of a monthly fitness calendar; Community support for the school fitness program; Guiding principles for implementing fitness.
- EDITORS' NOTE. Solmon, Melinda; McBride, Ron // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Jan2008, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p1
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by Bryan McCullick and colleagues on the viability of using physical education students' perspectives as a valid source of information about teacher candidates and another by Richard Light on complex learning theory.
- Knowledge of physical fitness in prospective physical education teachers. Barnett, Beth E.; Merriman, William J. // Physical Educator;Spring94, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p74
Focuses on the knowledge of physical fitness in prospective physical education teachers. Teacher preparation programs; Classes; Concepts; Activities and instructions; Research implications.
- High Stakes Assessment: A Journey Into Unknown Territory. Rink, Judith; Mitchell, Murray // Quest (00336297);Aug2002, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p205
Explores the efforts to reform physical education programs in South Carolina. Problems in reform efforts; Prevalence of standards, assessments and accountability reform movements; Process of reform; Teacher development in physical education; Organizational structure of the physical education...