Students' Participation Styles in Two University Weight Training Classes
- Gender Comparisons in Weight Training for Collegiate Sports. Duff, Robert W.; Hong, Lawrence K.; Royce, W. Stephen // Gender Issues;Fall99, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p74
Abstract: This paper examines one of the factors popularly believed to have discouraged young women from participating in collegiate sports: the fear that their physiques may become unattractive due to the regimen of physical training, such as weight lifting, required in such sports. Based on a...
- The complete free-weight workout. Gutfeld, Greg // Men's Health (10544836);Jan95, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p60
Describes a whole-body workout that builds muscle the old-fashioned way. The bench press; The front lunge; The squat; The military press; The triceps curl; Information on exercise equipment, including dumbbells, exercise benches and more. INSET: Joint savings.
- Make change from a quarter. Csatari, Jeffrey // Men's Health;Mar96, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p52
Presents a tip on weight-training. Information on quarter repetition; Benefit of using quarter repetition.
- Big ribs. Waldron, Meg // Runner's World;Jan94, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p30
Offers a five-minute fitness exercise for the beginning of a weight session. The pullover; Stretches upper back, spine, chest, arms, shoulders and muscles that expand the rib cage during breathing;The muscles which are strengthened; Use of dumbbells; Procedure.
- B.F.S. isn't (a) H.I.T. Bauer, Greg // Coach & Athletic Director;Mar96, Vol. 65 Issue 8, p70
Comments on Greg Shepard's B.F.S. publication on issues concerning strength training. Adulation on the `Scholastic Coach' article; Shepard's claims on the B.F.S. program; Keys to a successful strength training program; Comparison between the B.F.S. and the height intensity training program.
- Prime the pump. Murphy, P. Myatt // Men's Health (10544836);May94, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p46
Suggests altering the way you lift weights to keep muscles constantly working and growing. Definitions of repetitions, sets, rest; Techniques; Burns; The 21 system; The pyramid system; Supersets; Push-pull supersets; Pre-exhaust system; Super slow; Details.
- Five ways to waste a workout. Medich, Rob; Leclerc, Anita // Esquire;May96, Vol. 125 Issue 5, p40
Lists five improper weight training practices. Failure to use weight machines for the right purpose; Failure to lift a weight through a muscle's full range; Using momentum as a crutch; Resting at the wrong places; Breathing wrong.
- Today's preventive medicine. Weider, Joe // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;May96, Vol. 57 Issue 5, p14
Editorial. Discusses the history of weight training and its different changes. Information on history of weight training; Description of different changes; Information on the difficulties of weight training.
- The hunks, the dumbbells, and you. Schlosberg, Suzanne // Health (Time Inc. Health);Jan/Feb95, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p62
Features strength training tips for beginners. Tips for losing fear of the weight room; Machine exercises for the different muscle groups; Gym etiquette.