The Unit of Analysis in Field Research: Issues and Approaches to Design and Data Analysis
- A Study of the Collaborative Research Process: Shared Privilege and Shared Empowerment. Rovegno, Inez; Bandhauer, Dianna // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Apr1998, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p357
Examines the collaborative research process between an elementary physical educator and a university researcher. Effect of collaboration on the teacher and researcher; Use of standard participant observation; Discussion of shared privilege and shared empowerment.
- A User-Friendly Look at Qualitative Research Methods. Gerdes, Daniel A.; Conn, James H. // Physical Educator;Early Winter2001, Vol. 58 Issue 4, p183
Explores the basic methodology of a qualitative research approach to examining variables in physical education and coaching. Background on qualitative research methods; Process involved in data collection; Issues that might be explored with a qualitative methodology.
- A New Name for the New PE? Graham, George // Teaching Elementary Physical Education;Mar99, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p3
Focuses on the developmental advocate for physical education in the U.S. Suggestions for the definitive name of the subject; Coverage of the topic in the 'Wall Street Journal'; Survey conducted online for the subject.
- Born to be fit? Howard, Beth // Shape;Apr98, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p24
Features the HEalth, RIsk factors, exercise Training and GEnetics (HERITAGE) Family Study, a research effort of universities of United States and Canada's, to determine the role of genetics in response to exercise training. Information on study participants; How the study was conducted;...
- DIGEST. // Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly;Jul2001, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p339
Presents several abstracts related to physical activity research. 'Something to Consider? by B.A. Ferri, C.H. Keefe and N. Gregg; 'Aerobic Activities and Cystic Fibrosis' by P.A. Nixon, D.M. Orenstein and S.F. Kelsey; 'Do People With Visual Impairments Have Increased Acuteness in Other Senses?...
- The Role of the Case Study in Undergraduate Education. Perkins, Sally A. // Athletic Therapy Today;Nov2003, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p11
Offers an innovative approach to introduce athletic training students to scientific research. Concept of scientific research; Application of a case study research in many scientific disciplines; Details on the universal format in writing a case study.
- Endurance Training and Performance in Runners. Berg, Kris // Sports Medicine;2003, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p59
The purpose of this review is to discuss several limitations common to research concerning running and, secondly, to identify selected areas where additional research appears needed. Hopefully, this review will provide guidance for future research in terms of topics, as well as design and...
- Qualitative Inquiry in Athletic Training: Principles, Possibilities, and Promises. Pitney, William A.; Parker, Jenny // Journal of Athletic Training (National Athletic Trainers' Associ;Apr-Jun2001, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p185
Discusses the principles of qualitative research and its application in the field of athletic training. Characteristics of qualitative research; Data collection and analysis procedures; Examples of qualitative research related to athletic training.
- LET'S GET PHYSICAL. // Muscle & Performance;Jun2013, Vol. 5 Issue 6, p20
The article discusses a research study that was published in "Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport" which found that 39% of American four-year colleges and universities require physical education in 2012 as compared to 97% of schools in 1920.