Unproven Olympic health legacies
- Taking a Turn in the Whirl of History. Duffy, Brian // U.S. News & World Report;2/20/2006, Vol. 140 Issue 6, p10
This article reflects on the start of the 2006 Winter Olympic Games, in Turin Italy. It argues that even though sports have become tainted by excess, they still remain a refuge for many dealing with difficult issues, such as war, because they supply hope to spectators. Also mentioned is Steven...
- Let's muster up the courage to say it: Olympics should be abolished. Chase, Alston // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;02/16/98, Vol. 27 Issue 34, p13
Talks about the reasons why the Olympics should be abolished. Failure of organizers to make the Nagano Winter Olympics environmentally benign; Intrusion of the downhill ski course into the habitat of an endangered species; Competition over money rather than ideology; Loss of the Olympics'...
- The Olympics: Already a memory. Tatum, Wilbert A. // New York Amsterdam News;8/10/96, Vol. 87 Issue 32, p10
Editorial. Comments on the significance of the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia to Blacks. Performance of Black athletes; McDonald's commercial of a Black child at the starting blocks for a race.
- Atlanta Centennial Olympics: A made for television event. Harris, Jaime C. // New York Amsterdam News;8/10/96, Vol. 87 Issue 32, p46
Looks at commercialism and the exploitation of athletes during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia. Discrimination and errors in the coverage by the National Broadcasting Co.; Changes in the airing of boxing matches due to the victory of the Cuban boxers; Airing of sensational happenings.
- The Olympic pipe dream. Tomasky, Michael // New York;8/12/96, Vol. 29 Issue 31, p16
Opinion. Offers some reasons why New York City should not compete to host the Summer Olympic Games of 2008. Urging and boosterism for hosting the Games coming from Dan Doctoroff; The primary reason against the Games being spiritual, rather than financial; Why Atlanta and the commercialism of...
- What do the Arctic Winter Games mean to you? // Hub (Hay River, NT);12/14/2011, Vol. 39 Issue 42, p4
The article presents the view of several residents from the Northwest Territories (N.W.T) regarding the importance of the Arctic Winter Games.
- Para-Nordic: Winter Challenge. // Cross Connections;May2011, p5
The article presents information related to Challenge Hivernal, a multi-sport event held in Greater Quebec.
- MULTISPORT CALENDAR. // Rocky Mountain Tour & Race Guide;Mar2014, Vol. 7, p84
A calendar for multiple sports events from May to October 2014 in the U.S. is presented including the Marathon & Heavy Half on June 14, 2014, the Snowbird Adventure Race on August 6, 2014 and the Utah State Triathlon Championships on September 12, 2014.
- Lake Placid celebrates Olympic Day Saturday. // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;6/24/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 148, Special section p24
The article reports on the partnership of the U.S. Olympic Committee's Lake Placid Olympic Training Center, McDonalds and the state Olympic Regional Development Authority to present Olympic Day at the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid, New York in June 2010.