PreK-12 Basal and Supplemental Sales Increase 4.6% in April
- Are Basal Reading Textbooks Still Sexist? Hitchcock, Mary E.; Tompkins, Gail F. // Education Digest;May1988, Vol. 53 Issue 9, p38
The article cites a study which evaluated the most recent editions of six popular basal reading textbooks in the U.S., to determine whether sexism in stories has been reduced or eliminated. Two dimensions of sexism were examined--the number of female versus male main characters and the range and...
- A Fall-Off in Adoption Sales Pulls Down K-12 Results in September. // Educational Marketer;11/20/2006, Vol. 37 Issue 33, p3
The article reports on the sale of basal textbook in all grades in the U.S. The textbook sales in adoption states were down 8.3% to $1.49 billion in the last year. In addition, supplemental sales in adoption states in 2006 declined 18.7% in September 2006 and 10% for the 2006 nine-month period...
- Critique Terms Basal Readers Outmoded, Urges Spread of 'Real Book' Alternatives. . Rothman, Robert // Education Week;12/2/1987, Vol. 7 Issue 13, p1
The article focuses on the findings of the draft "Report Card on Basal Readers," released by the commission on reading of the National Council of Teachers of English in the U.S. The commission argued that the textbooks used in the U.S. are based on outmoded theories of teaching and learning....
- Questions on Quality for Textbook Selectors. Schenkat, Randy; Ehlinger, Jeanne // Education Week;5/22/1991, Vol. 10 Issue 35, p26
The article focuses on the quality of textbooks in the U.S. At the center of the "how to educate children" issue is how teachers teach them to read. Quality in reading instruction boils down to how well teachers use state-of-the-art, research-based practices that have proven effective in...
- Round One--Placing the Child in the Right Reader. Lovitt, Thomas C.; Hansen, Cheryl L. // Journal of Learning Disabilities;Jun/Jul1976, Vol. 9 Issue 6
Focuses on a method for placing elementary school children in appropriate readers. Combination of the Information Reading Inventory with techniques developed by applied behavior analysts; Measurement of the reading behaviors of pupils using the technique; Effectiveness of the method.
- See Basal Reader. Make Mistakes. Bracey, Gerald W. // Phi Delta Kappan;Mar90, Vol. 71 Issue 7, p560
Focuses on the practice of basal reading instruction. Impact of basal reading on the memory of children; Texts and language of basals; Kinds of errors that children made in reading; Impact of basal reading on the children's vocabulary; Miscues that arise from oral reading of basal texts; Length...
- Large group lesson/small group follow-up: Flexible grouping in a basal reading program. Wiggins, Robert A. // Reading Teacher;Mar94, Vol. 47 Issue 6, p450
Presents an approach for using basal readers in the reading program. Problems in basal reading instruction; Solutions; Advantages of using basals; Application of the classroom theory; Grouping in a basal reading program.
- The new basals: How are they different? Koskinen, Patricia S.; McCarthey, Sarah J. // Reading Teacher;Sep95, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p72
Discusses the impact of basal reading instruction. Criticism of basal readers for controlled vocabulary; Differences between programs at the word and sentence level; Examination of literary quality across several dimensions; Analysis of features of the text using features analysis and holistic...
- "Bushwack Bob" coming to the Stonewall County Library. // Stonewall County Courier (Aspermont, TX);7/14/2011, Vol. 25 Issue 30, p1
The article offers information on The Ballad of Bushwack Bob, a reading instruction program presented by Texas Reading Club at the Stonewall County Library in Stonewall County, Texas on July 18, 2011.