News Briefs ï¿½
- Minnesota Encounters Online-Testing Glitches. // Education Week;1/7/2015, Vol. 34 Issue 15, p4
The article reports that Minnesota's online educational testing contract with the educational firm Pearson PLC has encountered glitches.
- Pearson Presents Automated Test of Spoken Arabic. // Language Magazine;Apr2009, Vol. 8 Issue 8, p35
The article focuses on the Versant Arabic Test, a new automated test of spoken Arabic launched by Pearson PLC. It notes that this language assessment tool will allow organizations to efficiently and accurately evaluate the language skills of participants in language training programs or...
- Testing Students In Simulated Worlds. Herold, Benjamin // Education Week;3/13/2014 Technology Counts, Vol. 33 Issue 25, p22
The article presents information on the use of digital simulations for student assessment in U.S. education. The author looks at the U.S. National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, & Student Testing (CRESST), the computer game SimCityEDU by the publishing company Pearson, and the...
- The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Test Scorer. DIMAGGIO, DAN // Monthly Review: An Independent Socialist Magazine;Dec2010, Vol. 62 Issue 7, p31
The article presents information on the job of scoring standardized tests in the U.S. The author presents details from his experience as a test scorer for four months, discussing various aspects of the job, including the for-profit, multinational companies that administer the tests to students,...
- Pearson Testing Deal For Common Core Faces Legal Challenge. Cavanagh, Sean // Education Week;5/14/2014, Vol. 33 Issue 31, p10
The article discusses a lawsuit filed by U.S. educational testing organization the American Institutes for Research (AIR) against the U.S. state of New Mexico that claims the state unfairly awarded a Common Core State Standards testing contract to learning company Pearson. Topics discussed...
- Pearson's Education Business to Top Guidance. // Educational Marketer;2/ 2/2009, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p8
The article reports that all businesses and education unit at Pearson PLC in London, England and New York City have exceeded the 2008 company guidance with an 11% increase in North American Education sales.
- Pearson eyes Telemadrid stake. Johnson, Debra; McCormick, Nicole // Broadcasting & Cable;12/02/96, Vol. 126 Issue 50, p56
Reports on Great Britain media group Pearson's plans to acquire a stake in Spanish regional station Telemadrid.
- Pearson leaves Hong Kong. // Broadcasting & Cable;03/03/97, Vol. 127 Issue 9, p48
Reports that British television group Pearson Television has withdrawn its operations in Hong Kong.
- Pearson's Spanish expansion. Katz, Michael // Broadcasting & Cable;10/06/97, Vol. 127 Issue 41, p63
Announces a strategic alliance between Great Britain-based Pearson's Spanish publishing group, Recoletos and Telefonica.