Texas Moves Forward with Calls for Reading, Language Arts Adoption Worth More Than $1B
- Texas Board Tentatively Approves New Reading, English Curriculum. // Education Week;4/2/2008, Vol. 27 Issue 31, p5
The article states that the 15-member Texas state board of education tentatively approved a new English and reading curriculum. The proposed curriculum, that has come under sharp fire from teachers, education experts, and Latino leaders, would establish statewide reading lists for English and...
- English. Suhor, Charles // Educational Leadership;Apr86, Vol. 43 Issue 7, p81
Focuses on issues related to English education in the U.S. Study probing the future of technology in English curriculum; Changes to be channeled by teachers; Commonalties in programs in English, reading and journalism embraced by teachers; Reason for rejecting the option of creating model...
- How we differ from other nations. Sharron, Howard // School Leadership Today;2012, Vol. 3 Issue 6, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including English education policy in the schools and curriculum review system in Great Britain.
- Editorial. Locke, Terry // English Teaching: Practice & Critique (University of Waikato);Nov2002, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p1
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by Wayne Sawyer on critical English curriculum and another by Andy Goodwyn on pre-service English teaching trainees construct themselves as readers.
- What Schools Should Teach in the English Language Arts. Glatthorn, Allan A. // Educational Leadership;Sep88, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p44
Provides recommendations for the curriculum of English language arts that should be taught in schools. Limitation of the recommendations; Inclusion of several strands in the curriculum; Details of the curriculum in different fields of the language.
- ENGLISH 101: AN EXPERIENCE IN SELF-DISCOVERY. Wiggins, Jean K. // Education;Fall80, Vol. 101 Issue 1, p102
This article describes English 101 as an experiment in self-discovery. Various classroom activities, exercises, experiments, projects, and assignments are suggested along with an appropriate reading list.
- Developing an English Curriculum for a Premedical Program. George, Blessy // Language in India;Mar2010, Vol. 10, p3
A description of an English curriculum for the pre-medical program at Kasturba Medical College-International Center is presented.
- Rigby Launches Comprehensive Literacy Program for K-5 English Language Learners. // Educational Marketer;4/14/2003, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p1
Reports on the launching of 'On Our Way to English', a core curriculum program of supplemental education publisher Rigby for the K-5 school market in Barrington, Illinois. Improvement of the English proficiency of grade school students; Provision of supplemental educational materials; Cost of...
- Understanding academic competence in overseas students in the UK. Sowden, Colin // ELT Journal: English Language Teaching Journal;Oct2003, Vol. 57 Issue 4, p377
Much second language teaching today takes place using a task-based syllabus. Such an approach can only be effective if students are also obliged to engage actively with the forms and structure of the language they wish to learn, and with their own evolving versions of it. Furthermore, specific...