Despite Solid Adoption Calendar, State Financial Landscape Clouds 2008 K-12 Outlook
- Russo. // Scholastic Administrator;Back to School2010, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p18
In this article the author discusses the application for the Race to the Top, the 3.4 billion dollar innovation initiative carved out of 2009's stimulus fund which protects teachers' jobs in the U.S. He highlights the proposed effort to offer a second round of federal education funding called...
- Visions Lost and Dreams Forgotten: Environmental Education, Systems Thinking, and Possible Futures in American Public Schools. Cassell, John A.; Nelson, Thomas // Teacher Education Quarterly;Fall2010, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p179
The article discusses various issues related to environmental education, system thinking, and possible futures in American public schools in the U.S. It mentions that formal education plays an important role in this transformation in broad cultural and individual attitudes and intellectual...
- Last Week's Technology. DERRINGER, PAM // Scholastic Administrator;Fall2011, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p32
The article offers tips for K-12 technology directors in the U.S. on how to create a long-term district plan for technology adoption decisions. Jeff Mao, learning technology policy director in Maine, emphasizes the importance of flexibility of plans because devices are subject to change. Jerry...
- Detroit Schools Start Fiscal Year With Deficit That Could Deepen. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;7/1/2010, Vol. 373 Issue 33343, p28
The article reports that public schools in Detroit, Michigan is facing a 363 million dollars structural deficits.
- D.C. discloses $59 million overspending by school system. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;04/08/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30368, p3
Focuses on the disclosure by Washington, D.C. that the city's public school division may overspend its operating budget by $59 million in the 1998 fiscal year. Memo issued by chief financial officer Anthony Williams to outline his plans to address the budget problem; Cost factors that will...
- MICHIGAN: School-Aid Windfall Seen. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;1/19/2011, Vol. 375 Issue 33452, p9
The article reports on the 1.8 billion U.S. dollar fund deficit and 583 million U.S. dollar school-aid fund surplus to be faced by Michigan in 2012.
- Philadelphia Schools Warn City of Spiraling 'Fiscal Crisis.'. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;03/14/2001, Vol. 19 Issue 26, p10
Reports that the Philadelphia school system in Pennsylvania is expecting a multimillion-dollar budget deficit by the end of fiscal 2002. Shortfall expected without additional revenue and dramatic cost reductions; Budget plan for fiscal 2002; Initiatives of the district to cut down on its...
- BUSINESS OF Sports. SAYER, BILL // Central Penn Business Journal;12/7/2012, Vol. 29 Issue 50, p8
The article offers the author's insights regarding the schools in Maryland, including its decision to join the Big Ten conference starting in 2014, the budget deficit experienced by the university's athletics program, and its key sponsors such as Capital One Bank and Under Armor.
- The $248 Million Social Studies Textbook Adoption In Texas Faces Cuts in Battle Over State Deficit. // Educational Marketer;3/10/2003, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p1
Reports on the effect of Texas' fiscal 2004-2005 budget deficit on the funding of state purchases of social studies textbooks.