Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- The functional comorbidity index had high inter-rater reliability in patients with acute lung injury. Fan, Eddy; Gifford, Jeneen M.; Chandolu, Satish; Colantuoni, Elizabeth; Pronovost, Peter J.; Needham, Dale M. // BMC Anesthesiology;2012, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p21
Background: The Functional Comorbidity Index (FCI) was recently developed to predict physical function in acute lung injury patients using comorbidity data. Our objectives were to determine: (1) the inter-rater reliability of the FCI collected using in-patient discharge summaries (primary...
- Validation of an electronic surveillance system for acute lung injury. Herasevich, Vitaly; Yilmaz, Murat; Khan, Hasrat; Hubmayr, Rolf D.; Gajic, Ognjen // Intensive Care Medicine;Jun2009, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p1018
Early detection of acute lung injury (ALI) is essential for timely implementation of evidence-based therapies and enrollment into clinical trials. We aimed to determine the accuracy of computerized syndrome surveillance for detection of ALI in hospitalized patients and compare it with routine...
- Hydatid cysts of the lung: lesion size in relation to clinical presentation and therapeutic approach. Kuzucu, Akin; Ulutas, Hakki; Reha Celik, M.; Yekeler, Erdal // Surgery Today;Jan2014, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p131
Purposes: The aim of this study was to assess the relationship between the pulmonary hydatid cyst size and the clinical presentation, surgical approach, and postoperative outcome. We review the problems encountered in treating large pulmonary hydatid cysts and highlight the risks associated with...
- Oxygen-Induced Pulmonary Injury in &upsih-Glutamyl Transpeptidase-Deficient Mice. Barrios, Roberto; Zheng-Zheng Shi; Kala, Subbarao V.; Wiseman, Amy L.; Welty, Stephen E.; Kala, Geeta; Bahler, Andrew A.; Ching-Nan Ou; Lieberman, Michael W. // Lung;2001, Vol. 179 Issue 5, p319
Examines the role of glutathione (GSH) in protecting oxygen-induced lung injury. Effect of N-acetylcysteine on GGT-deficient mice; Increase in lung GSH levels after oxygen exposure; Levels of lung RNA coding.
- air leak. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p68
A definition of the term "air leak," which refers to any injury to the lung in which air escapes the tracheobronchial tree, is presented.
- Acute Lung Injury after Hemorrhagic Shock Is Dependent on Gut Injury and Sex. Adams, Charles A.; Magnotti, Louis J.; Xu, Da-Zhong; Qi Lu; Deitch, Edwin A. // American Surgeon;Oct2000, Vol. 66 Issue 10, p905
Recent studies have established gut-derived lymph rather than portal blood as the major source of toxic mediators after hemorrhagic shock that causes distant organ injury. Similarly, emerging data have identified sex as a major modifier of the response to injury and illness. Thus we tested the...
- Comment On: Protective Role of Recombinant Human Erythropoietin in Kidney and Lung Injury Following Renal Bilateral Ischemia-reperfusion in Rat Model. Ardalan, Mohammad Reza; Nasri, Hamid; Kopaei, Mahmoud Rafieian // International Journal of Preventive Medicine;Oct2013, Vol. 4 Issue 10, p1226
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Protective role of recombinant human erythropoietin in kidney and lung injury following renal bilateral ischemia-reperfusion in rat model," by M. Moeini.
- Effects of vaporized perfluorohexane and partial liquid ventilation on regional distribution of alveolar damage in experimental lung injury. Spieth, Peter M.; Knels, Lilla; Kasper, Michael; Domingues Quelhas, André; Wiedemann, Bärbel; Lupp, Amelie; Hübler, Matthias; Giannella Neto, Antonio; Koch, Thea; Gama de Abreu, Marcelo // Intensive Care Medicine;Feb2007, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p315
A correction to the article "Effects of vaporized perfluorohexane and partial liquid ventilation on regional distribution of alveolar damage in experimental lung injury," which appeared in a 2006 issue of the periodical is presented.
- Emerging Mechanistic Targets in Lung Injury Induced by Combustion-Generated Particles. // Toxicological Sciences;May2013, Vol. 133 Issue 1, p196
No abstract available.