"Evaluating the model of classification and valuation of disabilities used in Brazil and defining the elaboration and adoption of a unique model for all the country": Brazilian Interministerial Workgroup Task
- Equal opportunities. Lindqvist, Bengt // World Health;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p3
Editorial. Comments on the commitment by the United Nations in providing equality of opportunities and employment for disabled persons. Creation of the document entitled `Standard Rules on the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons With Disabilities,'; Recognition of insufficient...
- World Day for disabled persons. // World Health;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p25
Focuses on preparations for the United Nation's World Day for the Disabled on December 3, 1995. Themes addressed in workshops prior to the event; Opportunity for raising public awareness for the disabled provided by the event.
- A Century of Inclusion. Park, Les // WE Magazine;Nov/Dec99, Vol. 3 Issue 6, p90
Focuses on the 1999 International Day of the Disabled, a ceremony that honors groups involved in the welfare of disabled people. Sponsor of the ceremony proclaimed by the United Nations; Selected high-profile individuals and organizations who symbolize the crusade to include disabled people in...
- Missed Opportunity. Ellin, Simone // Baltimore Jewish Times;12/14/2012, Vol. 329 Issue 7, p14
The article focuses on the United Nations Conventions on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and discusses the concerns of Jewish American communities on the issue.
- A Journey to the UN. Walters, Traci // Abilities;Summer2010, Issue 82, p38
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experiences on being invited in the United Nations (UN) convention to represent Canada's ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- Measuring disability and monitoring the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: the work of the Washington Group on Disability Statistics. Madans, Jennifer H.; Loeb, Mitchell E.; Altman, Barbara M. // BMC Public Health;2011 Supplement 4, Vol. 11 Issue Suppl 4, p1
The Washington Group on Disability Statistics is a voluntary working group made up of representatives of over 100 National Statistical Offices and international, non-governmental and disability organizations that was organized under the aegis of the United Nations Statistical Division. The...
- Ideological Resolve: The Courage to be Cruel. Retsinas, Joan // Progressive Populist;1/1/2013, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p15
The article examines the objections of U.S. politicians to a United Nations treaty that endorses a legislation on the rights of the handicapped.
- United Nations: Toward A Convention On Disability? Minkowitz, Tina // Off Our Backs;Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 33 Issue 1/2, p19
Reports on the United Nations meeting held from July 29 to August 9, 2002 to begin discussions and negotiations for a convention on disability. Participants from different countries; Necessity of addressing the issue of psychiatric violence directed toward disabled women.
- A shared vision. Chalklen, Shuaib // Forced Migration Review;Aug2010, Issue 35, p4
The author discusses his role as the United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on Disability. He notes that 77 countries are part of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, but many countries have not implemented their stated disability policies. The UN's Standard Rules on the...