Privacy Takes Precedence in D.C
- ENTER LAUGHING. Colapinto, John // New Yorker;7/20/2009, Vol. 85 Issue 21, p28
The article profiles Al Franken, who was sworn in as a U.S. Senator from Minnesota several months after a close election that was subject to recounts and legal maneuvering. Topics include his early life and family background, his career as a comedian and writer, and factors that led him to...
- Congress Debates Data Breach Legislation. Pike, George H. // Information Today;Dec2009, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p17
This article focuses on the issue of data breaches and the mixed legal response to it in the U.S. The common methods for breaching data records include the loss or theft of laptop computers, inadvertent release of records, and improper disposal of electronic or paper records. It notes that...
- Will a federal data breach bill help? // SC Magazine: For IT Security Professionals (15476693);Sep2010, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p4
The author reflects on the function of U.S. federal data breach bills on the information security industry. She argues that none of the proposed laws on the federal level has been passed, which have drawn criticisms from industry experts. It is stated that members of the U.S. Congress are having...
- FEDERAL BREACH-NOTIFICATION BILL GETS HOUSE APPROVAL VIA VOICE VOTE. // ISO & Agent Weekly;12/17/2009, Vol. 5 Issue 45, p8
The article reports on the approval of a federal data breach notification bill called the Data Accountability and Trust Act by the U.S. House of Representatives. It notes that this bill requires the Federal Trade Commission to plan regulations for how entities monitor electronic data and notify...
- A "Cost of Doing Business" Thing. Barron, Jacob // Business Credit;Jul/Aug2011, Vol. 113 Issue 7, p22
The article focuses on how members of the U.S. Congress address data security breaches. Senator Richard Blumenthal convenes a hearing to consider the Data Security and Breach Notification Act. Representative Mary Bono Mack introduces the Secure and Fortify Electronic Data Act or SAFE Data Act....
- Franken making his mark, steadily. Rushing, J. Taylor // Hill;9/30/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 110, p8
The article reports on the political platform of U.S. Senator Al Franken in which he promised to end the war in Iraq, reform the health care system, and decrease higher education cost in the U.S.
- Franken makes 60 for Senate Democrats. Rushing, J. Taylor // Hill;7/8/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 79, p8
The article reports that former comedian Al Franken was awarded an official seat in the U.S. Senate as Junior senator in Minnesota, leading the Senate to a 60-seat majority.
- GOP senators in no hurry for Minn. seat to be filled. Wilson, Reid // Hill;2/12/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 17, p4
The article reports on the belief of the U.S. Republican Senators that keeping Democrat Al Franken out of Republican Norm Coleman's Senate seat could have legislative benefits.
- Al Franken arrives -- and sticks to his script. Rushing, J. Taylor // Hill;7/7/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 78, p8
The article focuses on the arrival of Minnesota Senator Al Franken to the U.S. Senate on July 6, 2009