Tattoos and Piercings: Issues of Body Modification and the Workplace
- Sorting Out a Claim of Bias. Miklave, Matthew T.; Trafimow, A. Jonathan // Workforce;Jun2001, Vol. 80 Issue 6, p102
Addresses questions related to the legal aspects of personnel management in the United States. Information on discrimination in the workplace; State differences in benefit programs; Rules in developing dress codes. INSETS: The Continuing Need to Accommodate.;False E-Mail Leads to Defamation...
- IX. Suits for Malpractice Based on Alleged Unsightly Scars Resulting from Removal of Tattoos. Zimmerman, Murray C. // Journal of Dermatologic Surgery & Oncology;Nov79, Vol. 5 Issue 11, p911
The article reports that suits for malpractice based on alleged unsightly scars resulting from removal of tattoos are common. Even having tattooed patients sign most detailed, graphically illustrated, and exactly descriptive informed consents to operations and their inevitable scars does not...
- legal news for supervisors. // Legal Alert for Supervisors;7/19/2010, Vol. 6 Issue 123, p3
The article offers news briefs related to employment lawsuits in the U.S., including a study on the cost of jury awards in employment litigation, enforcement of dress policy of the companies and the need to investigate claims on job discrimination.
- DEFUSING DISCRIMINATION CLAIMS. Grossman, Robert J. // HR Magazine;May2009, Vol. 54 Issue 5, p46
The article provides suggestions on how employers in the U.S. should handle discrimination claims. Human resource professionals should respond promptly and civilly to demand letters and should also contest unemployment claims with discretion. Robert B. Gordon of Ropes & Gray warns companies that...
- Jobcentre Plus worker sues over work ties. // Personnel Today;3/4/2003, p48
Reports that an employee of Stockport, England-based Jobcentre Plus has sued the company's Department for Work and Pensions over dress codes.
- OUTCRY OVER RIGHT TO WEAR CROSS AT WORK IS MISGUIDED. // Nursing Standard;9/12/2012, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p15
In 2009, nurse Shirley Chaplin was asked by her then employer Royal Devon and Exeter Foundation NHS Trust to remove her neck chain and cross during her clinical work.
- HOLY MESS... // Personnel Today;1/26/2010, p3
The article reports that Darren Sherborne, head of the company Rickerbys has urged Human Resource professionals for allowing flexibility in their uniform policies after a devout Christian Nadia Eweida claimed British Airways PLC for discriminating her when she refused to stop wearing the necklace.
- Find a dress code that suits you. Burnell, John // Third Sector;6/18/2008, p25
The article provides an answer to a question on how a personnel manager should tackle a staff member who refuses to comply with their dress code.
- Workplace Matters. Greenwald, Joel J. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;5/20/2002, Vol. 13 Issue 10, p25
Answers queries on personnel management in New York. Method of deducting amount stole by an employee; Factors to consider in implementing dress codes; Emphasis on making consistent employment decisions.