The prevalence of waterpipe tobacco smoking among the general and specific populations: a systematic review
- If you don't like it, make your voice heard. // Arab American News;7/4/2015, Vol. 31 Issue 1534, p16
The author discusses aspects of proposed smoking ban from Dearborn City Council at parks within Dearborn, Michigan targeting Arab American hookah smokers.
- Predictors of Arab American Adolescent Tobacco Use. Rice, Virginia Hill; Weglicki, Linda S.; Templin, Thomas; Hammad, Adnan; Jamil, Hikmet; Kuiwicki, Anahid // Merrill-Palmer Quarterly;Apr2006, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p327
This study examined personal, psychosocial, sociocultural, and environmental predictors in tobacco use for 1,671 Arab American adolescents. Cigarette smoking in the past 30 days was 6.9%. This increased from 1% at age 14 to 14% at age 18. Twenty-nine percent of the youths reported having ever...
- Hookah's risks are unclear. Raymond, Amanda // Charlotte Post;7/3/2013, Vol. 38 Issue 43, p1B
The article offers information on hookah smoking habits in the U.S. as 20-40 percent of U.S. students are engaged in hookah but the health risks imposed by hookah is still unclear and mentions that hookah smoking is treated as safer than cigarette smoking.
- Imperial Hookah. // Convenience Store News;Supplement Guide to Electronic Cigarettes, p18
The article evaluates the Twister disposable hookah from Imperial Hookah.
- Proposed smoking ban at Deaborn parks stirs controversy. Harb, Ali // Arab American News;7/4/2015, Vol. 31 Issue 1534, p10
The article discusses aspects of proposed smoking ban at the parks of Dearbon, Michigan. It states that Ali Jawad, founder of the Lebanese American Heritage Club (LAHC) banquet hall has condemned the proposal where it focuses on Arab Americans who were always seen using hookah, pipe and...
- Is Dearborn shunning its Arabs? Zahr, Amer // Arab American News;7/4/2015, Vol. 31 Issue 1534, p17
The author discusses aspects of social conditions of Arab Americans residing in Dearborn, Michigan. The author is critical on the proposed smoking ban within parks in Dearborn targeting Muslims who are often seen smoking with the use of hookah. Also investigated is the impact of changing and...
- A PLEASURE AMONG FRIENDS: HOW NARGHILE (WATERPIPE) SMOKING DIFFERS FROM CIGARETTE SMOKING IN SYRIA. Hammal, F.; Mock, J.; Ward, K. D.; Eissenberg, T.; Maziak, W. // Tobacco Control;Apr2008, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p75
Background: Throughout the Eastern Mediterranean region (EMR), tobacco is used primarily in two forms: cigarette smoking and narghile (water pipe) smoking. Objective: To explore whether narghile smokers are different from cigarette smokers in how their smoking habits are embedded in their...
- IRAQI HOOKAH OWNER SAYS LAW IS TAKING AWAY HIS CULTURE. Crisp, Andrew // Boise Weekly;4/11/2012, Vol. 20 Issue 42, p9
The article discusses the concerns of Ed Alghizi, owner of a hookah bar "Happy Land" in Boise, Idaho about his business as per the new rule which banned smoking in the city.
- TOBACCO USE PATTERNS AMONG HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: Do ARAB AMERICAN YOUTH DIFFER? Weglicki, Linda S.; Templin, Thomas; Hammad, Adnan; Jamil, Hikmet; Abou-Mediene, Sharifa; Farroukh, Mona; Hill Rice, Virginia // Ethnicity & Disease;Summer2007 Supplement 3, Vol. 17, pS322
Objective: To determine tobacco use rates (cigarette, water pipe smoking [WPS] or narghile) in Arab American compared to non-Arab youth. Design/Setting: A convenience sample of 2,782 14- to 18-year-old high school students from a midwest community completed a 21-item tobacco use history survey....