Six 'Impossible' Bores
- Mountain Pass Drilling. Griffin, Jeff // Underground Construction;Mar2013, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p42
In this article, the author discusses Oregon, Illinois based Apex Directional Drilling LLC which is known for its successful dealings with complex projects. He informs about Apex's latest project which was the underground construction of a fiber optic cable in the Cascade Mountains, northeast...
- Multipurpose tool improves data interpretation and survey accuracy. // Offshore;Mar2004, Vol. 64 Issue 3, p65
Reports on Reflex Instrument's launching of a multifunctional survey tool. Objectives in developing Reflex EZ-AQ/EMS; Results of tests comparing the performance of the tool with that of a gyro; Features of Reflex EZ-AQ/EMS; Functions; Benefits of the tool; Reflex's range of survey tools.
- Rescuing Downhole. Griffin, Jeff // Underground Construction;Jun2005, Vol. 60 Issue 6, p44
The article reports that one of the most frustrating problems a directional drilling crew can encounter is having a rig's drill string break or become stuck during drilling or pullback operations. Not only does work come to a halt, attempting to retrieve expensive drill pipe, downhole tools and...
- DRILLING UNITS FEATURE IMPROVEMENTS. Levings, Richard // Rental Equipment Register;Mar2005, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p14
Evaluates the JT92I horizontal directional drilling unit from Ditch Witch. Key features; Advantages; Specifications.
- Experimental investigation of pull loads and borehole pressures during horizontal directional drilling installations. Baumert, Michael E.; Allouche, Erez N.; Moore, Ian D. // Canadian Geotechnical Journal;Aug2004, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p672
Installation loads during 19 commercial horizontal directional drilling (HDD) installations were monitored using new in-hole monitoring cell technology. Fifteen of these installations were part of an 8.3 km section of 203 mm diameter by 4 mm wall thickness steel gas distribution line. The...
- Using HDD Installed Long-Line Linear Anodes To Protect Gas Distribution Lines. Hartley, Stephen; Mohr, John // Pipeline & Gas Journal;Mar2005, Vol. 232 Issue 3, p14
The article reports that horizontal directional drilling (HDD) anode placement has become a widely accepted method for installing pipelines and telecommunications in places where trenching is unacceptable, HDD applications are most commonly used at stream and road crossings. The directional...
- State Of The HDD Industry Report. Carpenter, Robert // Underground Construction;Jun2002, Vol. 57 Issue 6, p4
Reports on the state of the Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD) industry in the U.S. as of June 2002. Significance of the telecommunications industry to the HDD market; Need to search for other potential markets; Description of the improvements in the industry.
- EQUIPMENT SPOTLIGHT. // Underground Construction;Sep2000, Vol. 55 Issue 9, p72
Introduces several drill tracking devices. DrillTrack System 1; Spot D Tek IIIA; DigiTrak MKIV; Features of the device.
- HDD RIGS. // Underground Construction;Sep2000, Vol. 55 Issue 9, p87
Provides information on several horizontal directional drilling (HDD) units. Model JT520 from Ditch Witch; Models 6010 Turbo and 6030 Turbo from Case Corp.; Terra-Jet 2614D from Terra AG.