Using U.S. Clout to Boost Broadband
- FCC considers petitions for public safety networks. // Fire Engineering;Nov2009, Vol. 162 Issue 11, p38
The article reports on petitions sent by four state governments and more than 12 cities and counties to the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for waivers for authority for the establishment of local and regional public safety networks in the public safety bandwidth. It mentions the...
- Broadband's flying stop. Schwaninger Jr, Robert H. // Urgent Communications;Sep2009, Vol. 27 Issue 9, p10
The author discusses the absence of a spectrum or federal money to support the delivery of broadband technology in rural communities. He cites the lack of political will by the U.S. Federal Communication Commission (FCC) to let wide-area carriers of broadband systems serve the whole area for...
- The VoIP Enigma. Rockwell, Mark // Wireless Week;12/1/2004, Vol. 10 Issue 24, p8
Focuses on the ruling of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission regarding efforts of Vonage Corp. to provide Voice-over Internet Protocol service in Minnesota. Reason for the exemption of the company from traditional telephone regulations; Broadband technologies on which the voice...
- 39 GHz: No Place For New Kids. Carlson, Caron // Wireless Week;04/03/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 14, p20
Deals with the United States Federal Communications Commission's 39 Gigahertz (GHz) frequency band auction which opens on the second week of April 2000. Broadband services for the 39 GHz frequency; Telecommunication companies which are expected to participate in the auction; Geographic area...
- FCC begins broadband inquiry. // Mobile Radio Technology;May2003, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p50
Reports on the issuance of a Notice of Inquiry seeking comment on using electrical power lines to provide Internet and broadband services to homes and offices by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. Types of broadband over power line addressed in the inquiry; Additional means for...
- Public Proposals Included in National Broadband Plan. // District Administration;May2010, Vol. 46 Issue 5, p12
The article discusses the incorporation of recommendations into the National Broadband Plan issued by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding the use of broadband technology in schools.
- Financing and bidding advantages offered in FCC PCS auctions. Crowe, Thomas K. // Telecommunications - Americas Edition;Dec94, Vol. 28 Issue 12, p56
Focuses on the proposed financing and bidding measures by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Schedule of broadband personal communications (PCS) auctions; FCC's entrepreneur preference plan; Importance of entrepreneur qualifying bids; General installment payments; Availability of tax...
- FCC to give broadband another failing grade. Jerome, Sara // Hill;4/20/2011, Vol. 18 Issue 54, p10
The article reports on the expectation for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to reveal that broadband providers are not deploying services in a reasonable and timely way in the U.S.
- Broadband speeds mostly as advertised. Nagesh, Gautham // Hill;8/3/2011, Vol. 18 Issue 116, p13
The article mentions the report unveiled by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) which revealed that most major broadband firms in the country provide access that is 80 to 90 percent of advertised speeds or better.