Killer Storms Rip South
- Safe From the Storm. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;4/5/2004, Vol. 60 Issue 20, p2
Focuses on the strategies used by the Baysinger family in Buffalo Lake, Minnesota in preparing for a tornado. INSET: How Tornadoes Work.
- More Tornadoes, Fewer Deaths. Ball, Jacqueline A. // Tornado!: The 1974 Super Outbreak;2005, p16
This article focuses on the tornado outbreaks in the U.S. On June 7, 1984, a group of 45 tornadoes hit Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. On May 3, 1999, 74 tornadoes spin through Oklahoma and Kansas. A tornado hit Oklahoma City and caused a billion dollar worth of damage. Each year the number of...
- Some Notable U.S. Tornadoes Since 1925. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2000, p240
No abstract available.
- When Clinton speaks for us all. // Christian Science Monitor;3/4/97, Vol. 89 Issue 67, p20
Discusses United States President Bill Clinton's announcement that he would visit Arkansas, which was struck by a tornado. Expression of compassion and sympathy for victims of the disaster; Importance of foresight and planning in dealing with natural disasters.
- At least 27 dead, 300 hurt in Ill. killer tornado that devastated black residents. // Jet;9/17/90, Vol. 78 Issue 23, p5
Reports on a killer tornado that hit three suburban Chicago towns, killing at least 27 and hitting black residents hard.
- Tornado. Davis, G. // Popular Science;Oct88, Vol. 233 Issue 4, p65
About 850 tornadoes occur annually in the U.S., mostly in the dozen states known as `tornado alley.' Armed with new portable Doppler radar devices, meteorologists are finally learning what happens inside the violent twisters. INSET: Measuring tornados. Inset: Chasing lightning..
- Tornado! // Ranger Rick;Apr93, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p10
Focuses on the swirling, whirling winds of tornadoes. Warning signs of a tornado; Where most tornadoes occur; Where to go when a tornado is coming; Mini-tornado built by Ned Kahn in the New York Hall of Science in Corona, New York; Waterspout. INSET: Tornado trivia, by Tim Bascom..
- Riders on the storm. Bluestein, Howard B. // Sciences;Mar/Apr95, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p26
Focuses on the effect and impact of tornadoes in the United States. Storms; Formation of clouds; How tornadoes are formed.
- Indiana survives tornado blitz. McGovern, M. // Soil & Water Conservation News;Nov/Dec91, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p12
Focuses on how the Indiana Conservation Team made up of employees of Soil Conservation Service, soil and water conservation districts and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (Division of Soil Conservation) responded after 35 to 40 tornadoes hit Indiana on June 2, 1990. Damage...
- RC&D helps town recover from tornado. Schwien, J. // Soil & Water Conservation News;Nov/Dec91, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p13
Tells how East Central Colorado Resource Conservation and Development (RC&D)Area Council helped the town of Limon, Colo. recover from severe damage caused by a tornado which hit on June 6, 1990. University of Colorado design team; Rebuilding pla ns; Senior center renovations; RC&D coordinator...